"Qingdao - Bavaria on the Yellow Sea" Qingdao by Willettsworld
Qingdao Travel Guide: 201 reviews and 800 photos
Qingdao lies on the east coast of Shandong, looking out to the Yellow Sea. Qingdao today is a major seaport, naval base, and industrial centre. The city was little more than a small fishing village until 1891 when the Qing government decided to make the area a defence base against naval attack. This Chinese activity was observed and reported by German naval officials during a formal survey of Kiautschou Bay in May 1897. After the Kiautschou Bay region was ceded to Germany in 1898, the German authorities soon turned the impoverished fishing village of Tsingtao into a strategically important port administered by the Imperial Department of the Navy. The German imperial government planned and built the first streets and early infrastructure of the city (still visible today), introduced electrification throughout, a sewer system and a safe drinking water supply plus they built battery forts, one of which, still exists underground. After a minor British naval attack on the German colony in 1914, Japan occupied the city and the surrounding province during the Siege of Tsingtao after Japan's declaration of war on Germany in accordance with the Anglo-Japanese Alliance. The city reverted to Chinese rule in December 1922, under control of the Republic of China but was again captured by the Japanese in 1938. It was then liberated by the Chinese after World War II.
All of this has meant that the city has a mixed history and very European feel about it. There are many German styled buildings in the city plus they introduced beer (named after the old village, Tsingtao) to the Chinese. You can wander around the Tsingtao Brewery which was founded here in 1903, the beaches (of which there are many), the excellent Naval Museum and the famous Guest House. I liked the city a lot during my stay, despite the sea mist and cool temperatures. Qingdao was used for the sailing events during the Olympics in 2008 and its recent improvements ahead of the Games has meant that it was recently named China's 9th-most liveable city by the China Daily.
This section is just one part of the Qingdao Aquarium. more travel advice
This hall is part of the Qingdao Aquarium and features many marine animals such as sea lions, penguins, sharks and... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Qingdao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The former german crowncolony of Tsingdao"
- "Qingdao - Old German Colony in China"
- "Qingdao - seaside colonial town"
- "Beautiful seaside city"
- "Qingdao (aka Tsingtao)"
- "Finally getting some sunshine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Qingdao
- Hotels in Qingdao
- Transportation in Qingdao
- Nightlife in Qingdao
- Restaurants in Qingdao
- Shopping in Qingdao
- Warnings and Dangers in Qingdao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Qingdao
- 31 Reviews
- 209 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Qingdao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qingdao
Photos in QingdaoSee All Photos (209)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Qingdao hotel reviews
- Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Qingdao Huiquan Dynasty Hotel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 19, 2013
- Qingdao Harvest Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 21, 2013
- Hai Tian Hotel Qingdao
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Copthorne Hotel Qingdao
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 13, 2013
- Champs Elysees Business Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2010
- Crowne Plaza Qingdao
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Dongfang Hotel Qingdao
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013