Shanghai Transportation Tips by Willettsworld
Shanghai Transportation: 273 reviews and 340 photos
Shanghai is served by two main railway stations, Shanghai Railway Station and Shanghai South Railway Station. I arrived from Hangzhou and then took a train to Suzhou from the main railway station on the new Japanese bullet-train looking CRH trains which you should really try out as they are amazing. It's possible to go to all corners of China from here including Lhasa in Tibet, Hong Kong, Urumqi, Xian, Kunming and Harbin. Check out the website below for train times and destinations:
Opened in 1995, the Shanghai Metro is a speedy, safe, comfortable and convenient means of transportation for travelling around Shanghai. The main attractions, transportation hubs and commercial areas such as the Bund, Nanjing Road, Huaihai Road, People's Square, Shanghai Railway Station and Xujiahui can be reached by several subway lines (currently 8) with some 162 stations.
Like many metro systems in the world, the fares on the Shanghai Subway are distance based. As of September 15, 2005, fares ranged from 3 Yuan for journeys under 6 km, to 9 Yuan for journeys over 46 km. Single journey tickets can be purchased from ticket vending machines or at a ticket window. Some stations only use ticket vending machines. Single tickets use plastic cards containing an RFID contactless chip. When entering the system you tap the ticket against a scanner above the turnstile, and on exit you insert the ticket into a slot where it is stored and recycled.
More Reviews (79)
- See All Qibao
- Si Ping Rd
- See All Street market
- Shanghai West City Mosque
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 81 Reviews
- 344 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
Photos in ShanghaiSee All Photos (344)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues
- The Bund- 83 Reviews, 153 Photos
- Nanjing Lu- 57 Reviews, 93 Photos
- Oriental Pearl Tower- 65 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Yuyuan Garden- 59 Reviews, 149 Photos
- Jade Buddha Temple- 25 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Xin Tian Di- 35 Reviews, 77 Photos
- Huangpu River Cruise- 16 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Jin Mao Tower- 17 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Shanghai Museum- 38 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Pudong- 18 Reviews, 42 Photos
See All Shanghai Things to Do