"Tai Shan - The sacred mountain of Taoism" Top 5 Page for this destination Tai Shan by Willettsworld
Tai Shan Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 180 photos
Tai Shan (meaning Mount Tai) is one of the "Five Sacred Mountains" of Taoism. It is associated with sunrise, birth, and renewal, and is often regarded the foremost of the five. The temples on its slopes have been a destination for pilgrims for 3,000 years, one of which, known as Jade Emperor Temple, is at the mountains summit at 1532 metres (5028 ft). It is located to the north of the city of Tai'an where pilgrims embark on their journey from the Dai Temple and up the mountain via a series of over 6,500 arduous steps past 22 temples, 11 gates, 14 archways, 14 kiosks, 4 pavilions, 819 stone tablets, and 1,018 cliff-side and stone inscriptions. If you don't fancy the hard climb up you can simply take a bus up to the halfway point where cable cars will whisk you the rest of the way to the summit. I decided not to climb the whole mountain but instead took a bus to the halfway point, climbed the hardest part to the summit, took a cable car back down to the halfway point and then walked the rest of the way down and back to Tai'an. This meant that I got to see nearly everything on the mountain by either ascending or descending it. Whatever you chose to do, if you're in this area of Shandong province then you should visit Tai Shan and experience its magical power, both on your body and on your soul!
This is the first temple you come to along the central route up Tai Shan. It features a large statue of Guandi, the... more travel advice
This palace with its wine-coloured walls was rebuilt during the late Ming dynasty in 1626. It is divided into two... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Tai Shan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sunrise, Sunset, Sea of Clouds"
- "Tai Shan - The sacred mountain of Taoism"
- "Chinas most sacred mountain"
- "The Most Sacred Daoist Mountain"
- "Tai Shan"
- "Snowy Taishan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tai Shan
- Hotels in Tai Shan
- Transportation in Tai Shan
- Restaurants in Tai Shan
- Shopping in Tai Shan
- Warnings and Dangers in Tai Shan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tai Shan
- 33 Reviews
- 122 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Tai Shan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tai Shan
Photos in Tai ShanSee All Photos (122)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues