"Taiyuan" Taiyuan by Willettsworld
Taiyuan Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 183 photos
Taiyuan is the capital of Shanxi Province, approx 270 miles south-west of Beijing. The old city of Taiyuanzhen was located a few miles east of today's modern city. The city then moved to the banks of the Fen River after the Song conquest in 960 A.D. and grew from there. In 1907 the importance of Taiyuan was increased by the construction of a rail link to Shijiazhuang, in Hebei, on the Beijing to Wuhan trunk line.
There's not a great deal to see in the city but there is a small area of the old town near the train station that includes the Chongshan Temple and a Confucian Temple. There's also a superb provincial museum that's well worth visiting in the west of the city. However, the big draw-card is the Twin Pagoda Temple, located in the south-west of the city centre, that features twin 54-metre high pagodas that were built in the early 17th century. I came to Taiyuan from Shijiazhuang, for just one night before heading on to nearby Pingyao. If you have the time, like I did, why not stop here on your way to Pingyao.
This temple is located beside the Twin Pagoda Temple in the south-west of the city. It was built at the same time as the... more travel advice
Just south of the Chongshan Temple lies this Confucian Temple which is home to the second part of the Shanxi Museum,... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Taiyuan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Taiyuan City, Shanxi, China"
- "Taiyuan (太原)"
- "highway from Beijing to Taiyuan,shanxi province"
- "Taiyuan-a city of great charm"
- "Taiyuan, Shanxi"
- "Taiyuan, the city of the dragon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Taiyuan
- Hotels in Taiyuan
- Transportation in Taiyuan
- Nightlife in Taiyuan
- Restaurants in Taiyuan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Taiyuan
- 11 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Taiyuan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taiyuan
Photos in TaiyuanSee All Photos (104)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues