"Izola - Forgotten town on the Adriatic" Izola by Willettsworld
Izola Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 82 photos
Izola, (or Isola meaning island in Italian, as it once was an island), is located on the coast of Slovenia between Koper and Piran. It was occupied by the Romans, (who named their settlement Haliaetum), at Simon’s Bay just along the coast from today’s Old Town. The town flourished under the Venetians in the Middle Ages thanks to its trade in olives, fish and wine and a town wall was built around the island. However, a devastating plague in the 16th century all but ended its trading routes and the town lost its economic base. The French came along under Napoleon in the 19th century, tore down the walls and filled in the estuary to make the island part of the mainland and also destroyed several old churches and houses for good measure. The town hasn’t really recovered since and because of this, it isn’t a big tourist destination. But there are a few nice things to see such as the parish church of St Maurus and its bell tower, the large marina and a Rococo gem in the form of the Besenghi degli Ughi Palace – the best example you can find in Slovenia. I visited Izola one morning and also had lunch here before heading back to where I was staying in Koper in the afternoon in order to travel on to Trieste. The old town medieval centre is a lot smaller than its neighbours and so doesn’t need more than 2-3 hours to walk around.
This restaurant (said to be over 130 years old) is situated near the little marina by Veliki trg in the Old Town. I came... more travel advice
This small church was built in the late 17th century in a small square opposite the fruit and veg market. The church has... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Izola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Izola - Forgotten town on the Adriatic"
- "... just so that it's not always Piran!"
- "tetekung's new Izola Page"
- "isolina_it's new Izola Page"
- "Gingerpipp's Izola Page"
- "farwell to autumn, welcome winter"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Izola
- Hotels in Izola
- Transportation in Izola
- Nightlife in Izola
- Restaurants in Izola
- Shopping in Izola
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Izola
- 22 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Izola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Izola
Photos in IzolaSee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues