"Škofja Loka - Bishop's Meadow" Top 5 Page for this destination Skofja Loka by Willettsworld
Skofja Loka Travel Guide: 211 reviews and 588 photos
Škofja Loka (Bishop’s Meadow) is located 25km west of Ljubljana and is one of Slovenia’s oldest current settlements. Its history dates back at least 1000 years when in 973, German Emperor Otto II presented the Bavarian Bishops of Freising with the valleys along the Poljanscica and Selscica Rivers. Škofja Loka lies at the confluence of these two rivers and the town still retains some of its medieval charm despite being burned to the ground in 1457, attacked by Turks two decades later, hit by an earthquake in 1511 and succumbing to several fires at the end of the 17th century. Most of what survives today was built in the 18th century except for the town’s castle which was originally built in the 13th century and renovated in the 15th century. It commands a dominating position on a hill to the west of the town and today houses one of the best ethnographic collections in Slovenia. Other noteworthy sights include the towns small parish church of St James which dates back to the 13th century but whose main structure dates to the 16th century, a large 16th century granary, the 14th century stone Capuchin Bridge and several nice houses both in the town itself and in the nearby suburb of Puštal which features the beautiful 16th century wooden Nace House.
As Škofja Loka is only a short distance away from Slovenia’s capital, it only takes approx 30mins by bus to reach and as the town is small you really only need a morning or an afternoon to visit. I visited one morning before taking the bus to Kranj which I toured round in the afternoon.
- Pros:Great castle museum, charming old houses, nice rivers
The old mill lies near the confluence of the two rivers that flow through Skofja Loka - the Selscica and Poljanska. more travel advice
Across the stone Capuchin Bridge from the Old Town lie the Capuchin monastery and Church of St Anne which was built in... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Skofja Loka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bishops Lawn at the Sora River"
- "An underrated destination."
- "Skofja Loka"
- "SKOFJA LOKA"
- "Škofja Loka - Bishop's Meadow"
- "SKOFJA LOKA - A 1000 YR OLD TOWN!"
- "Škofja Loka"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Skofja Loka
- Hotels in Skofja Loka
- Transportation in Skofja Loka
- Restaurants in Skofja Loka
- Warnings and Dangers in Skofja Loka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Skofja Loka
- 36 Reviews
- 126 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Skofja Loka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skofja Loka
Photos in Skofja LokaSee All Photos (126)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Skofja Loka hotel reviews
- Mini Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2012