"Mongolia - Land of the nomads" Mongolia by Willettsworld

Mongolia Travel Guide: 1,090 reviews and 3,386 photos

Whenever I thought about Mongolia, before I visited, my thoughts tended to be those of nomadic families living in gers in the middle of nowhere in featureless steppe landscapes and of the great warrior Genghis Khan and the Mongol Empire. I wanted to visit this often overlooked country for myself and experience being in "outer Mongolia" - totally away from anywhere and anything, basically being in the middle of nowhere. No other country on earth is so remote, so un-populated and so barren. The scenery is staggering beautiful and the people we visited were so warm, hospitable and kind when we just turned up on the doorstep of their ger - a portable, felt-covered, wood lattice-framed dwelling structure used by nomads.

I spent about 3 weeks in Mongolia - 12 days of which were as part of an organised tour with a company called Black Ibex. The tour started in Mongolia's capital city, Ulaanbaatar - a mixture of Soviet era dull, drab and crumbling apartments, pre and post Communist architecture and western coffee shop/internet/mobile phone chic. I stayed in the city for about a week after the tour in order to take in the annual Naadam Festival which features wrestling, archery and horse racing - the so called 'manly sports'. The tour took me to a couple of national parks - Gorkhi-Terelj with its alpine scenery, rivers and rocky outcrops and Hustai home to the Mongolian Wild Horse, known as the Przewalski horse or Takhi horse in Mongolian. We then visited Ogii Lake, Karakorum - the ancient capital city of Genghis Khan and the Gobi desert. After returning to Ulaanbaatar after the tour, I then visited the attractions in the city before taking the overnight Trans-Mongolian railway to Beijing.

• Last visit to Mongolia: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 22, 2009

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Wow, GREAT page, no comments yet.....love your photos! I was just thinking that I might like to visit Mongolia some day, stay in a ger and ride one of their horses, found your page:)

Willettsworld

“"Don't listen to what they say. Go see." ~ Chinese proverb”

Badges & Stats in Mongolia

• 1,141 Photos

Have you been to Mongolia?

Latest Activity in Mongolia