"Mongolia - Land of the nomads" Mongolia by Willettsworld
Mongolia Travel Guide: 1,204 reviews and 4,054 photos
Whenever I thought about Mongolia, before I visited, my thoughts tended to be those of nomadic families living in gers in the middle of nowhere in featureless steppe landscapes and of the great warrior Genghis Khan and the Mongol Empire. I wanted to visit this often overlooked country for myself and experience being in "outer Mongolia" - totally away from anywhere and anything, basically being in the middle of nowhere. No other country on earth is so remote, so un-populated and so barren. The scenery is staggering beautiful and the people we visited were so warm, hospitable and kind when we just turned up on the doorstep of their ger - a portable, felt-covered, wood lattice-framed dwelling structure used by nomads.
I spent about 3 weeks in Mongolia - 12 days of which were as part of an organised tour with a company called Black Ibex. The tour started in Mongolia's capital city, Ulaanbaatar - a mixture of Soviet era dull, drab and crumbling apartments, pre and post Communist architecture and western coffee shop/internet/mobile phone chic. I stayed in the city for about a week after the tour in order to take in the annual Naadam Festival which features wrestling, archery and horse racing - the so called 'manly sports'. The tour took me to a couple of national parks - Gorkhi-Terelj with its alpine scenery, rivers and rocky outcrops and Hustai home to the Mongolian Wild Horse, known as the Przewalski horse or Takhi horse in Mongolian. We then visited Ogii Lake, Karakorum - the ancient capital city of Genghis Khan and the Gobi desert. After returning to Ulaanbaatar after the tour, I then visited the attractions in the city before taking the overnight Trans-Mongolian railway to Beijing.
If you like to "star gaze" then the Gobi desert is one of the best places in the world to do it as the night sky is... more travel advice
The Khongor sand dunes are some of the largest and most spectacular sand dunes in Mongolia. Also known as the duut... more travel advice
- Ogii Lake
- See All Nomadic family on the move
- See All Genghis Khan - The man
- See All Anything and everything
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Mongolia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saagar's Mongolia info"
- "Mongolia - Land of Genghis Khan"
- "Mongolia, land of the blue sky"
- "Jostling and Jolting Through Mongolia"
- "Mongolia : Simply & Unmaterialistic World"
- "MONGOLIA * MONGOLIE * MONGOLIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mongolia
- Hotels in Mongolia
- Transportation in Mongolia
- Nightlife in Mongolia
- Restaurants in Mongolia
- Shopping in Mongolia
- Warnings and Dangers in Mongolia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mongolia
- 226 Reviews
- 1,141 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Mongolia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mongolia
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues