"North Korea - The World's Most Isolated Country" Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea by Willettsworld
North Korea Travel Guide: 550 reviews and 1,757 photos
Just the mere words 'North Korea', or to give it its proper title, The Democratic People's Republic of Korea, conjure up visions of an extreme Communist dictatorship, a strict daily allegiance to the 'Kim' regime, a brutal human rights record, economic hardship, poverty and famine due to bad flooding of farmland. All the reasons to stay way clear but I chose to see things for myself even though this is virtually impossible as you can only visit on a pre-determined government tour itinerary as part of a government approved tour group.
I read quite a few reports on the internet and saw other visitor's photo's before deciding that I just couldn't say no to visiting. It fact I was itching to go. It was a mixture of interest, mystery and intrigue that lead me to sign up on a tour in June 2008 so as to delve behind this last bastion of Soviet styled Communism that no other country has. North Korea is the last remaining relic of the Cold War and is the most isolated country on earth, hence its moniker - 'the hermit kingdom'. So to witness daily life in any way, shape or form was just something I couldn't wait to see for myself. North Korea - the so called 'Axis of Evil', as it is today, will eventually 'end' whether through war, revolution, or gradual change. Time will run-out, so if you're just curious like I was, now's the time to go and witness the country as it exists today.
I hope that my page will help you decide whether you should want to visit or not. If you do decide to visit then I hope that the information I give is, in some way, useful for you to make a start. To others I hope it'll just be an interesting read and that you enjoy the photos as they speak for themselves more than me writing about what they depict. I've put a day-by-day account of what and where we visited as part of the tour itinerary on one of my travelogues which I hope is of some use as to what to expect.
- Pros:Surreal beyond belief, like no other country on earth, go see it before it ends!
- Cons:Not allowed to walk around by yourself, always with guides, can never tap into the 'real' DPRK
We arrived here in the dark but were still able to make out the guards carrying riffles at a checkpoint at the entrance.... more travel advice
Panmunjom is the general name for the area where buildings are located on both sides of the 38th parallel or DMZ which... more travel advice
- See All Traditional Korean pansanggi
- See All Guides at attractions
- See All Mini-golf at the Yanggakdo Hotel
- See All TV's, lap-tops, beds & furniture - want...
- See All Stalls/kiosks
Willettsworld's Related Pages
North Korea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "North Korea - The World's Most Isolated Country"
- "Behind Enemy Lines in the Forbidden Land"
- "DPRK - not another BIG story"
- "Close Encounter with DPRK"
- "A surreal experience"
- "Not really North Korea..."
- "North Korea - Poor, but beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in North Korea
- Hotels in North Korea
- Transportation in North Korea
- Nightlife in North Korea
- Restaurants in North Korea
- Shopping in North Korea
- Warnings and Dangers in North Korea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in North Korea
- 213 Reviews
- 958 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to North Korea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Korea
Videos in North KoreaSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues