"Letchworth - World's First Garden City" Letchworth by Willettsworld
Letchworth Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 83 photos
In 1898, Ebenezer Howard, appalled at the very unpleasant living and working conditions in the late 19th Century towns and cities, wrote a book outlining his ideas for a completely new way of living. The book, 'Tomorrow, A Peaceful Path to Real Reform', was later republished as 'Garden Cities of Tomorrow' in 1902. He believed that the very best of both town and country life should be married together in small Garden Cities, each with its own greenbelt. He promoted well-planned towns with careful land zoning and a quality of life. In 1903, First Garden City Ltd commenced the building of an experimental town on 3,818 acres of land at Letchworth in North Hertfordshire, to prove that Howard's ideas were practical. The world's first Garden City became a reality and soon others around the world followed. In 1905, and again in 1907, the company held the Cheap Cottages Exhibitions, contests to build inexpensive housing, which attracted some 60,000 visitors and had a significant effect on planning and urban design in the UK, pioneering and popularising such concepts as pre-fabrication, the use of new building materials, and front and back gardens. Today, Letchworth has a wonderful array of different housing styles and designs from country cottage to mock-Tudor. Even though the town is not a Number 1 tourist destination, it does offer a fascinating insight into early urban planning which can be seen by simply walking around the town centre.
Letchworth is easy to get to by both car and rail. It's located near the A1(M) motorway with speedy links to London and the South-east and the North of England. The town has a train station which links it to London's King's Cross and Cambridge.
This lovely thatched building was originally designed as the Letchworth Office for architects and planners Barry Parker... more travel advice
Innovation in Letchworth was not confined just to the design of buildings. During January 2005 "Sollershott Circus" (to... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Letchworth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The first 'garden city'."
- "Letchworth - World's First Garden City"
- "The first Garden City"
- "Letchworth Garden City"
- "Letchworth "The Worlds First Garden City""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Letchworth
- Hotels in Letchworth
- Transportation in Letchworth
- Nightlife in Letchworth
- Restaurants in Letchworth
- Shopping in Letchworth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Letchworth
- 24 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Letchworth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Letchworth
Photos in LetchworthSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues