"World's second garden city" Welwyn Garden City by Willettsworld
Welwyn Garden City Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 71 photos
I thought it about time that I write a little, and there is only a little, on my home town of Welwyn Garden City, also referred to as WGC or just Welwyn, as it's also incorrectly known, as there's a small village of Welwyn nearby. To confuse matters even more, Welwyn Garden City isn't a city but in fact a town with a population of around 43,000. It's located about 20 miles north of London, just off the A1(M) motorway.
The town became the world's second garden city in the 1920's after being founded by Sir Ebenezer Howard following his previous experiment in Letchworh Garden City, located about 15 miles to the north. However, it's by no means a tourist attraction! Yes, there are some nice areas such as those in and around the town centre along what is known as Parkway - a mile long central mall or 'scenic parkway'. Apart from that, the town's only other distinctive features are of a former Shredded Wheat Factory, which is a fine example of art deco industrial design but is now redundant, and a couple of nice lakes with varied flora and fauna called Stanborough Park in the south of the town. The main reason to come here is to either work or shop as there's a reasonable shopping centre and a large John Lewis department store.
There are only a few hotels in Welwyn Garden City and, of course, being a resident in the town, I haven't tried them... more travel advice
The 50 acre Gosling Sports Park is located to the south of the town near the A1(M). The Park is home to Gosling... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Welwyn Garden City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World's second garden city"
- "An early garden city"
- "Peace and quiet at Welwyn"
- "Welwyn Garden City"
- "Home Sweet Home"
- "It sucks the life from the sky"
- "My home town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Welwyn Garden City
- Hotels in Welwyn Garden City
- Transportation in Welwyn Garden City
- Nightlife in Welwyn Garden City
- Restaurants in Welwyn Garden City
- Shopping in Welwyn Garden City
- See All...
Explore the World
- Polangui Hotels
- Corpus Christi
- Ko Samui
- Province of Ontario
- Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- Grand Bassin Hotels
- Province of Tarlac
- Hammond Hotels
- Harlem Hotels
- Kota Kinabalu
- Departamento de Islas de la Bahía
- Morro Bay
- Pulau Aceh Hotels
Badges & Stats in Welwyn Garden City
- 16 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Welwyn Garden City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Welwyn Garden City
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Welwyn Garden City hotel reviews
- Tewin Bury Farm Hotel
- 137 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Quality Hotel Welwyn
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Best Western Homestead Court Hotel - Welwyn Garden City
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013