"Algarve's defenses on the Rio Guadiana" Castro Marim by Willettsworld
Castro Marim Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 127 photos
Located a few kilometres north of Vila Real de Santo António, overlooking the Rio Guadiana, which is the river that divides the Algarve from Spain, Castro Marim is a small town of a population of around 3,000 that is dominated by not one, but two fortresses. Castro Marim has, historically, been an important town because of its position near the banks of the Guadiana and its proximity to the coast. The remains of the first settlements in the area date from about 5000 BC and it is thought likely that at this time the town was an island surrounded by shallow waters. For thousands of years it was a port that offered shelter to the ships that sailed the Guadiana collecting metals and other wares plus it was also connected to Lisbon by a Roman road that ran parallel to the river.
Most of all, though, it has been important strategically in the defence of the Algarve. During the 14th century the soldiers of the 'Order of Christ,' who replaced the Knights Templar, had their headquarters here. At the time the border dispute with Castile was ongoing and the castle (originally built by the Moors between the 10th and 13th centuries) was very well positioned with views across the countryside in all directions and particularly across the Rio Guadiana. It fell into disuse when it was replaced by new fortifications in the 17th century - the fort of São Sebastião, on the opposite hill above the town. This, second, fort wasn't open to the public when I visited but the larger original fort is and houses a small chapel as well as a square castle within its walls. The town itself is sleepy with some nice houses and warrants a visit if visiting Vila Real de Santo António or Tavira.
The towns cemetery warrants a visit if you have the time and can be found just to the south of the town. more travel advice
The town’s main church looks down over the town centre where there is a small triangular square with some nice old,... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Castro Marim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Portugal!"
- "Algarve's defenses on the Rio Guadiana"
- "Big changes"
- "Castro Marim"
- "Castro Marim"
- "Mightiest twin castles ever"
- "Castro Marim"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Castro Marim
- 9 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Castro Marim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castro Marim
Photos in Castro MarimSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues