"Silves - Former Moorish capital" Silves by Willettsworld
Silves Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 316 photos
Located 16km (10 miles) northeast of Portimao, there is history everywhere you look in Silves, to remind you of its affluent and bold past as a Moorish capital (known as "Xelb”). The importance of Silves lay in the fact that it was the main access to the inland areas of the Algarve because of its river location, although the river is now too silted up for large vessels to use. The most prominent monument is Castelo de Silves, built between the 8th and 13th centuries, which is now the best preserved castle in the Algarve. The castle and the Cathedral beside it are the first buildings you see as you approach Silves, as they sit on the hilltop above the town.
The castle offers spectacular views from the battlements. It has eleven towers, two of which are barbicans, and thick walls that enclose an area of 12,000m². Four of the towers, modified at the time of reconstruction work in 14/15th centuries have gothic doorways. The castle once sheltered the old Moorish 'alcáçova' which was the residence of the lord of the city. Not much remains of the defensive walls and towers which protected Silves, but one of the four gates remains which is the 'Torreão da Porta da Cidade' (The turret of the City Gate). Sé de Silves (Cathedral of Silves), one of the Algarve’s few remaining gothic monuments with ancient tombs, sits alongside the castle and a network of narrow, cobbled streets take you down into the town where you'll find a regional history museum - Museu Municipal de Arquelógia (Municipal Archaeological Museum).
This church is located in the western part of town. I can't find any information or history on it though! more travel advice
Silves' market is located near the Roman bridge and is fairly small and not so good looking or as well stocked as one's... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Silves Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The village of Alte"
- "Day excursion with the (W)right family"
- "Kingdom of the Algarve"
- "Historic Silves"
- "Moorish Silves"
- "Silves from above"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Silves
- Hotels in Silves
- Transportation in Silves
- Nightlife in Silves
- Restaurants in Silves
- Shopping in Silves
- Warnings and Dangers in Silves
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Silves
- 12 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Silves?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Silves
Photos in SilvesSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues