"Slovenia" Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia by Willettsworld
Slovenia Travel Guide: 8,032 reviews and 21,001 photos
Slovenia lies in southern Europe bordered by Italy to the west, the Adriatic Sea to the southwest, Croatia to the south and east, Hungary to the northeast, and Austria to the north. As a consequence, Slovenia has been influenced by a number of foreign factors and controlled by a couple of its neighbours over the years but it still retains its own identity with a hint of its previous rulers. It’s a small country measuring a total area of just over 20,000km² (7,800 sq mi) and has a population of just over two million. With this in mind, it doesn’t take much time at all to travel anywhere in the country. I used Ljubljana as a base for visiting the nearby towns of Bled, Škofja Loka and Kranj and the natural wonder of Vintgar Gorge. I then travelled to Maribor in the north of the country by train before heading to the coastal towns of Koper, Piran and Izola, stopping at the Postojna Caves on the way. I spent a total of 10 days in sunny July here and had a wonderful time. Here’s my itinerary:
Day 1: Arrive in Ljubljana after flying from the UK.
Day 2: Ljubljana
Day 3: Ljubljana
Day 4: Bled and Vintgar Gorge
Day 5: Škofja Loka and Kranj. Then train to Maribor.
Day 6: Maribor
Day 7: Train to Koper via Postojna Caves
Day 8: Koper
Day 9: Piran
Day 10: Izola
I then went onto Trieste, Italy before taking the train back into Slovenia in order to get to Zagreb, Croatia. I then came back to Ljubljana in order to fly back home. Great two week trip!
Along the bathing area are loads of seafront restaurants and because Piran is a very popular place and because they all... more travel advice
The Bell Tower, or Campanile in Italian, is a smaller copy of the one in Venice in St Mark’s Square. It was built in... more travel advice
- See All Izola - St Maurus Church
- See All Koper bus station
- See All Halfway between the Old Town and station
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Slovenia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Sunny Side of The Alps"
- "Slovenija, lepa dezela (beautiful country)"
- "Small country of numerous wonders"
- "The Julian Alps"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Slovenia
- Hotels in Slovenia
- Transportation in Slovenia
- Nightlife in Slovenia
- Restaurants in Slovenia
- Shopping in Slovenia
- Warnings and Dangers in Slovenia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Slovenia
- 487 Reviews
- 1,677 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Slovenia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slovenia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues