"Monteriggioni - Small is beautiful" Monteriggioni by Willettsworld
Monteriggioni Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 115 photos
Monteriggioni - blink and you'll miss it. It's that small. It was built in 1203 and 10 years later became a garrison town. It is completely encircled by about 10 metre high walls with 14 heavily fortified towers, built to guard the northern borders of Siena's territory against invasion from Florence.
Dante used Monteriggioni as a simile for the deepest abyss at the heart of his "Inferno", which compares the town's "ring-shaped citadel crowned with towers" with giants standing in a moat.
Within the walls, lies a small sleepy town that consists of a large piazza, a pretty Romanesque church (on the square), a few houses, shops, restaurants and hotels.
This small pretty Romanesque church sits on the main square. The tourist office is next door. more travel advice
Porta Romea is the main gateway (well there's only one other!) in the encircling wall. The gate is the first thing... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Monteriggioni Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Castle - under siege"
- "A Medieval Fortress"
- "A Walled City . . . with 14 towers"
- "Monteriggioni - Small is beautiful"
- "What's all the fuss about?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monteriggioni
- Hotels in Monteriggioni
- Restaurants in Monteriggioni
- Warnings and Dangers in Monteriggioni
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Monteriggioni
- 7 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Monteriggioni?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monteriggioni
Photos in MonteriggioniSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Monteriggioni hotel reviews
- Castel Pietraio
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2012
- L'Aia Country Holidays
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Il Piccolo Castello Hotel
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 17, 2013
- Hotel Monteriggioni
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 22, 2013
- Il Colombaio
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 23, 2013
- Monteriggioni Castello
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2012