"Pompei" Pompeii by Willettsworld
Pompeii Travel Guide: 980 reviews and 2,702 photos
An earthquake in AD 62, which shook Pompeii and damaged many buildings, was merely a prelude to what happened on a tragic day in AD 79 when Mount Vesuvius erupted, burying the town under 6m (20ft) of pumice and ash. Although it was discovered in the 16th century, serious excavation began only in 1748, revealing a city petrified in time. In some buildings paintings and sculpture have survived and graffiti is still visible on street walls. But the most tragic and poinient reminders of what life in Pompeii was once like, are the bodies of the inhabitants cast where they died in stone.
House of the Vettii - This is one of Pompeii's finest houses and is decorated with some of the finest frescoes found.
House of Faun - This famous house is the largest in Pompeii measuring 3000 square metres.
House of Venus in the shell - This house (house of Venus in the shell) was made famous by the beautiful painting on the south wall from which the house is named.
The Forum - was surrounded on all sides by religious, political, and business buildings.
Teatro Grande - The large theatre was built in the 2nd century BC and could hold approximately 5,000 spectators.
Amphitheatre - Built in 80 BC, this is one of the oldest and best preserved amphitheaters in existence and held over 12,000 spectators.
When I was in Italy, many places I visited were free because of what the Italian's call "Settimana della Cultura" or... more travel advice
Lovely friendly 3 * hotel located approx 200m from the ruins entrance and approx 300m to the town centre. Room was nice... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Pompeii Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful Roman town of Pompei"
- "The Dead City"
- "Striding across Pompei"
- "Frozen in time"
- "The Uncovered City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pompeii
- Hotels in Pompeii
- Transportation in Pompeii
- Nightlife in Pompeii
- Restaurants in Pompeii
- Shopping in Pompeii
- Warnings and Dangers in Pompeii
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pompeii
- 30 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Pompeii?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pompeii
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues