"Home of the Dalai Lama & Tibetan Government" Top 5 Page for this destination McLeod Ganj by Willettsworld
McLeod Ganj Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 345 photos
McLeod Ganj is a small town located in the foothills of the Himalayas just north of Dharamsala. It was first established as a hill station by the British in the mid-19th century and named after the then Lieutenant Governor of Punjab, David McLeod. The British stayed here until an earthquake struck the town in 1905 and remained a backwater until the Dalai Lama claimed asylum and moved in following the Chinese invasion of Tibet in 1959. Exiled Tibetan, Buddhist monks, tourists, local Indian's and backpackers have been visiting ever since and because of this, the town is well catered for most needs such as good cheap accomodation, internet access, good western, Tibetan and Indian food and shopping. I came here via a rather arduous 9 hour bus journey from Shimla and enjoyed seeing the monastery's, daily life and the good food.
This is the bus station in McLeod Ganj. It's nothing more that a counter underneath a restaurant with a single bus... more travel advice
This fascinating museum is located near to the Tibetan medical & astrological institute. It exhibits hundreds of herbs... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
McLeod Ganj Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Still Square - Dharamshala-McLeod Ganj"
- "Little Lhasa"
- "Home of the Dalai Lama & Tibetan Government"
- "McLeod Ganj.... So this is the Indian Himalaya!"
- "McLeod Ganj aka The Little Lhasa"
- "Dalai Lama's home town!"
- "Himalayan Paradise!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in McLeod Ganj
- Hotels in McLeod Ganj
- Transportation in McLeod Ganj
- Nightlife in McLeod Ganj
- Restaurants in McLeod Ganj
- Shopping in McLeod Ganj
- Warnings and Dangers in McLeod Ganj
- See All...
Badges & Stats in McLeod Ganj
- 24 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to McLeod Ganj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in McLeod Ganj
Photos in McLeod GanjSee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues