"Verona - home of Romeo & Juliet" Verona by Willettsworld
Verona Travel Guide: 1,766 reviews and 4,550 photos
Verona was once an important Roman city of northern Italy that still today offers visitors a wonderful insight into their history. The city is littered with Roman remains which are only rivaled by Rome. These include the city's centrepiece: the Arena, built in AD30, which is the world's third largest and still is used for staging concerts and opera productions; the 1st century AD Arco dei Gavi over looking the river Adige; the wonderful Porta dei Borsari and Porta dei Leoni gateways; and the riverside 1st century BC theatre.
During the medieval period the city was ruled by two families who both left their mark on the city. The Scaligeri began their 124 year reign in 1263 and their legacy remains in their ornate tombs and in the Castelvecchio. In 1387 Verona fell to the Visconti's of Milan who built the city's defensive walls.
Verona is split into two distinct areas. Firstly that of the area around Piazza Bra which contains the Arena, Castelvecchio and Palazzo Barbieri - the city's main municipal building. And secondly, the areas around the two squares of Piazza Erbe and Piazza dei Signori.
But Verona is prehaps most famous for the tragic story of two lovers (Romeo and Juliet) from rival families that was originally written about by Luigi da Porto in 1524 before William Shakespeare made it famous 60 years later.
These are the views you see over the River Adige and the city from the Teatro Roman and Museo Archeologico on San Pietro... more travel advice
This Roman theatre was built in the last quarter of the 1st century BC, however, little remains of the stage area but... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Verona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Verona "my town""
- "Verona - The City of Balconies"
- "Architecture & dancingqueens reaching for the sky"
- "My Verona"
- "Operas in the Arena"
- "Verona, a living museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Verona
- Hotels in Verona
- Transportation in Verona
- Nightlife in Verona
- Restaurants in Verona
- Shopping in Verona
- Warnings and Dangers in Verona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Verona
- 36 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Verona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Verona
Photos in VeronaSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues