"Mahdia - Tunisia's secret" Top 5 Page for this destination Mahdia by Willettsworld
Mahdia Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 170 photos
Mahdia lies in a sheltered situation on a small rocky peninsula, 1.5km (1 mile) long and barely 500m (550yds) across, which is linked with the mainland only by a narrow isthmus. It's located 68km (42 miles) southeast of Sousse and 20km (12 miles) northeast of El Jem. I came here one afternoon after visiting nearby Monastir.
Its name comes from Mahdi ('the well directed') in Arabic, nickname of Obaid Allah, the chief of the Fatimids. It was founded as a fortified port in 916 AD which was incorporated into massive walls, 10m thick, that once surrounded the whole peninsula, the remains of which can still be seen today. It was abandoned in 947 AD and was settled by inhabitants of nearby villages. It the 15th century, Spanish troops of Charles Quint seized Mahdia and it was then plundered, in the 17th century by the knights of Malta who set fire to the town. Mahdia is very small with only a few attractions so it doesn't take long to walk around and seem them all.
On the other side of a square known as Place Khadi en-Noamine from the Great Mosque is this mosque but I don't know its... more travel advice
Stretching over slight hills from one side of the peninsula to the other near the lighthouse is a large cemetery. Here... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Mahdia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Discover Mahdia before others!"
- "Mahdia - Tunisia's secret"
- "Old Imperial City"
- "Cap Mahdia"
- "El Mahdiya"
- "Mahdia is another summer resort I've visited"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mahdia
- Hotels in Mahdia
- Transportation in Mahdia
- Nightlife in Mahdia
- Restaurants in Mahdia
- Warnings and Dangers in Mahdia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mahdia
- 15 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Mahdia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mahdia
Photos in MahdiaSee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues