"Monastir - Tunisia's famous Ribat" Top 5 Page for this destination Monastir by Willettsworld
Monastir Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 344 photos
I first came to Monastir with my parents back in 1989 for a weeks holiday and came again as part of a 10 day winter tour around northern Tunisia as a day trip from Sousse. I didn't remember much of the town except for the two octagonal pavillions at the entrance to the Mausoleum of Habib Bourguiba which was closed to visitors back in 1989 as Tunisia's first president, who was born in Monastir, died in 2000.
Like most of Tunisia, Monastir's history goes back a fair bit. The Phoenicians established a trading station named Rous Penna on this strategic site, and under the Romans this became the town of Ruspina. During the civil war with Pompeii (49-46 B.C.) Caesar made this his headquarters in North Africa and surrounded it with a triple ring of walls. When the Arabs established a chain of fortified monasteries along the North African coast in the 8th century they recognised the strategic value of this site at the tip of the peninsula and built the famous Ribat from which the town takes its name (Greek - Monasterion). Today the town is at the eastern end of a huge tourist area that streches for miles along the Gulf of Hammamet to Sousse.
So there was me, walking around the northern walls of the Medina when I spot a British red telephone box - yep in... more travel advice
On the other side of the road from the Bourguiba Mosque lies this Costume Museum which displays traditional Tunisian... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Monastir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monastir-city with spirit"
- "Monastir - Tunisia's famous Ribat"
- "Monastir, Tunisia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monastir
- Hotels in Monastir
- Transportation in Monastir
- Nightlife in Monastir
- Restaurants in Monastir
- Shopping in Monastir
- Warnings and Dangers in Monastir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monastir
- 17 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Monastir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monastir
Photos in MonastirSee All Photos (104)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues