"Kairouan - Fourth holiest Islamic city" Kairouan by Willettsworld
Kairouan Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 486 photos
Kairouan is said to be the fourth holiest city in Islam after Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem due to its founding in AD 671 by Oqba ibn Nafi, commander of the Arab army which was thrusting into North Africa. It was the Arabs first foothold in the region and they built the original settlement only for it to be destroyed by a Berber rebellion. The city was re-established in AD 694 by Hassan ibn Nooman and went through a golden period in the 8th and 9th centuries when it was the capital of the Aghlabid's who built the city's main attraction - the Great Mosque whose plan and architecture was used as a template for other such mosque's through-out the country. However, the Aghlabid's moved their capital to the coastal town of Mahdia and the city declined and was eventually sacked by the Beni Hilal nomads in 1057. In the 14th century the town was rebuilt by the Hafsids, and in the early 18th century it was extended by the Husseinites who built the Medina walls and gates. Although Tunis was now the uncontested political capital of Tunisia, Kairouan retained its religious importance for the Muslims of North Africa; and seven pilgrimages to Kairouan are regarded as equivalent to the prescribed pilgrimage to Mecca.
I visited Tunisia in the winter when it was quite chilly and saw that many of the local men wear large thick coats and... more travel advice
This patisserie is located on the main Ave 7 Novembre streets within the Medina and specialises in selling sweets,... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Kairouan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tunisia's Religious Centre"
- "Kairouan, the Holy City"
- "A city of mosques but also much more..."
- "KAIROUAN-Sacred city"
- "Kairouan: the 4th Holiest Muslim City"
- "My favourite city, full of culture!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kairouan
- Hotels in Kairouan
- Transportation in Kairouan
- Nightlife in Kairouan
- Restaurants in Kairouan
- Shopping in Kairouan
- Warnings and Dangers in Kairouan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kairouan
- 25 Reviews
- 127 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Kairouan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kairouan
Photos in KairouanSee All Photos (127)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues