"Dougga - A Roman town with a view" Dougga by Willettsworld
Dougga Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 209 photos
Dougga (or Thugga as it's sometimes known), is the best preserved Roman city in Africa. It's set in a beautiful picturesque setting, surrounded by pastureland and olive-groves over rolling hills in which it overlooks. You get a great idea of why it was built here and what life was once like for its residents by walking around the ruins and taking in the views. I came here one morning after an overnight stop in Le Kef, on my way to Tunis, so it can be easily visited as part of a daytrip from both. For Roman buffs, it simply can't be missed if you're thinking of coming to Tunisia. Highlights include the imposing Capitole, the 3,500 seat theatre and some 21 temples as well as many fine villas, bathing houses and even a brothel.
Food is in short supply here. There is a very small cafe/shop just across the road from the large theatre but there is... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Dougga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dougga, another World Heritage location"
- "Dougga - A Roman town with a view"
- "Photo Opportunity!"
- "Dougga: a Roman city"
- "Far from big cities, but worth a stop, because..."
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dougga
- 32 Reviews
- 170 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Dougga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dougga
Photos in DouggaSee All Photos (170)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues