"Assos - Greek legacy overlooking the sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Assos by Willettsworld
Assos Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 204 photos
Assos, also known as Behramkale, is a village in the northern Aegean Region of Turkey. It’s located on the northern coast of the Gulf of Edremit, across the northern coast of the Greek island of Lesvos. Though officially named Behramkale most people still call the town by its ancient name of Assos.
Assos was founded from 900-1000 BC by Aeolian colonists from Lesbos. The settlers built a Doric Temple to Athena on top of a crag in 530 BC. From this temple Hermias of Atarneus, a student of Plato, ruled Assos, the Troad and Lesbos for a period of time, under which the city experienced its greatest prosperity. Under his rule, he encouraged philosophers to move to the city. As part of this, in 348 BC Aristotle came here and married King Hermeias's niece, Pythia, before leaving to Lesbos three years later in 345 BC. This 'golden period' of Assos ended several years later when the Persians arrived, and subsequently tortured Hermias to death. The Persians were driven out by Alexander the Great in 334 BC. Between 241 and 133 BC, the city was ruled by the Kings of Pergamon. However, in 133 BC, the Pergamons lost control of the city as it was absorbed by the Roman empire. St. Paul also visited the city during his third missionary journey through Asia Minor, which was between 53-57 AD, on his way to Lesbos. From this period onwards, Assos shrunk to a small village, as it has remained ever since.
The Greeks left behind several ruins which lie over different levels of a hill that overlooks the sea. These include an Agora, gymnasium, temples, theatre and houses. The inhabited village lies right at the top of the hill and down the other side and features many wonderful old stone cottages and cobbled streets which are well worth a wander around. I came here on my way from Canakkale to Bergama.
If you continue to travel downhill along the road from the theatre, you'll come to the small harbour. From antiquity... more travel advice
The city hall of Assos has a square ground plan. The roof was carried by four columns standing inside the building. The... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Assos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Behramkale and Assos"
- "BEHRAMKALE - ASSOS"
- "Assos - Behramkale"
- "splendid and unspoiled site facing lesbos"
- "Assos - Greek legacy overlooking the sea"
- "history and nature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Assos
- Hotels in Assos
- Transportation in Assos
- Restaurants in Assos
- Shopping in Assos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Assos
- 17 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Assos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Assos
Photos in AssosSee All Photos (76)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues