"Edirne - Near the Bulgarian border" Top 5 Page for this destination Edirne by Willettsworld
Edirne Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 463 photos
Edirne is located about 225km north-west of Istanbul close to the borders with Greece and Bulgaria. The area around Edirne has been the site of no fewer than 16 major battles or sieges, from the days of the ancient Greeks and has been quoted as "the most contested spot on the globe". The city was founded as Hadrianopolis, named for the Roman Emperor Hadrian but was known in English as Adrianople. Licinius was defeated here by Constantine I in 323, and Valens was killed by the Goths in 378 during the Battle of Adrianople. In 813 the city was seized by Khan Krum of Bulgaria who moved its inhabitants to the Bulgarian lands towards the north of the Danube. During the existence of the Latin Empire of Constantinople, the Crusaders were decisively defeated by the Bulgarian Emperor Kaloyan in the battle of Adrianople (1205). Later Theodore Komnenos, Despot of Epirus, took possession of it in 1227. Following its capture by the Ottoman Sultan Murad I in 1365, Edirne served as the capital city of the Ottoman Empire from 1365 to 1453 when Constantinople (Istanbul) became the empire's new capital.
Edirne is the largest town in European Turkey outside Istanbul and boasts some wonderful architectural delights; chief of which is the Selimiye Mosque. It is simply unavoidable as it's four huge minarets, (which are said to be the second highest in the world after the Qutb Minar in Delhi), soar 70-meters into the sky. The mosque was commissioned by Sultan Selim II and was built by architect Mimar Sinan between 1568 and 1574. It was considered by Sinan to be his masterpiece and is one of the highest achievements of Islamic architecture. Other attractions include the Edirne Archaeology & Ethnography Museum, Three Balconies Mosque, and Old Mosque which lies opposite the Selimiye Mosque. Just outside the town lies the Sultan II Bayezid Kulliyesi Mosque which is a 15th century mosque complex that features a museum on health. The town centre is rather pleasant with some lovely old houses and a nice pedestrianised shopping street but the outskirts of the city look quite rough. I came here from Istanbul and spent a night here before heading to the Gallipoli peninsula but you may be able to cram in the major sights as part of a day trip from Istanbul.
This award winning museum is located in the hospital and Quran school of the Sultan II Bayezid Kulliyesi, which itself... more travel advice
This Ottoman Bridge lies to the south of town and dates from 1615. more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Edirne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Edirne – former capital of Ottoman Empire"
- "Edirne: the Second Capital of the Ottoman Empire"
- "Edirne - Near the Bulgarian border"
- "To my darling in the Edirne city"
- "Ex-capital of Ottoman Empire"
- "Edirne (Adrianople), between Asia and Europe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Edirne
- Hotels in Edirne
- Transportation in Edirne
- Nightlife in Edirne
- Restaurants in Edirne
- Shopping in Edirne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Edirne
- 21 Reviews
- 114 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Edirne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edirne
Photos in EdirneSee All Photos (114)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues