"The nine settlements of Troy" Top 5 Page for this destination Troy by Willettsworld
Troy Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 376 photos
Legendary Troy proved to be fact when, in the 1870s, a wealthy German businessman, Heinrich Schliemann, began excavating in this area. He discovered the ruins of a series of ancient cities dating from the Bronze Age to the Roman period. Schliemann declared one of these cities — at first Troy I, later Troy II — to be the city of Troy, and this identification was widely accepted at that time.
Located about 30km south-west of Canakkale, there is, in fact, more than one Troy. Altogether there are nine - dating from around 3,000 BC to the 5th century AD. Each one is built on top of the last which means that Troy was built in different layers through the centuries. This means you have to use your imagination and the reconstruction plans to get some idea as to what the ruins might have looked like. The 7th Troy is most likely to have been the setting for Homer's famous Iliad - an epic poem of the Trojan War, said to be among the oldest extant works of Western literature, dating to around the eighth century BC.
This is the South Gate of Troy VI that was probably the principal entrance to the citadel. Of the gate, only the roadway... more travel advice
This is the lower city, to the west of Troy VI-late VIIa citadel (14th-13th century BC). Stone foundations of well built... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Troy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Homeric Troy?"
- "Troy is not your average, restored ancient site!"
- "Troy is a place on your mind"
- "The nine settlements of Troy"
- "Can you re-gift?"
- "4000 years of History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Troy
- Hotels in Troy
- Transportation in Troy
- Restaurants in Troy
- Shopping in Troy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Troy
- 21 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Troy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Troy
Photos in TroySee All Photos (102)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues