"Nassau - Capital of the Bahamas" Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau by Willettsworld
Nassau Travel Guide: 655 reviews and 1,345 photos
Nassau, on New Providence, is the capital of the Bahamas and features a mixture of neocolonial 19th century buildings and modern hotel resorts. It's the main point where caribbean cruise ships stop and spring breakers party.
Nassau was first visited in 1648 when William Sayle and his party of Eleutheran Adventurers briefly landed. The island became known as Sayle's Island, but his party didn't settle. The first settlement on the island, known as Charles Town, was built in 1666 and featured a series of dirty streets which were lined with brothels and taverns. In 1684 the Spanish sacked the town and it's population fled to the American colonies. The town was then rebuilt and renamed Nassau in 1695. Nassau was attacked again in 1703 by a combined Spanish and French force. After this period, the British built forts such as Fort Nassau and Fort Charlotte and peace ensued. The town's most important governor, Earl Dunmore, arrived in 1787 and took control by building many of the fine buildings that are still evident today.
Bay Street is the main shopping street in Nassau and it is lined with high end designer boutiques such as Gucci, Calvin... more travel advice
I came here for lunch one day whilst I was walking around Nassau. This one is tucked down a side street off Bay St near... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Nassau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nassau - Capital of the Bahamas"
- "Islands in the sea"
- "Happiness is Quite O-Cay"
- "My Wonderful trip to Nassau"
- "Pics from diving the reef"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nassau
- Hotels in Nassau
- Transportation in Nassau
- Nightlife in Nassau
- Restaurants in Nassau
- Shopping in Nassau
- Warnings and Dangers in Nassau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nassau
- 29 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Nassau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nassau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues