"Petropolis - Imperial City" Top 5 Page for this destination Petrópolis by Willettsworld
Petrópolis Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 270 photos
Petropolis lies 60km north of Rio de Janeiro's city centre in the Serra dos Órgãos mountain range and make's for an excellent day out as it was once the retreat of Brazil's Imperial family in the 19th century. Dom Pedro II (Brazil's last emporer) built a summer palace here in which he and his wife and children frequented regularly in order to escape from the summer heat in Rio. In fact today it's still home to the pretender to the throne, the grandson of Princess Isabel, Dom Pedro de Orleans e Bragança.
The city has a decidedly European flavour with it's lovely villas, canals, palaces and city parks. The star attraction is the Imperial summer palace which is now open to the public as a museum. The city also offers other architectural and historical sites such as the cathedral (Catedral de São Pedro de Alcântara) which houses the tombs of Dom Pedro II, his wife Teresa and their daughter Princess Isabel and her husband.
There's a regular bus service that leaves Rio's Rodoviária Novo bus station on the Facil or Unica company buses. They... more travel advice
When I visited Petropolis (on the Tuesday after Carnaval in Rio) I noticed that Petropolis was also having Carnaval... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Petrópolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petrópolis Cidade Imperial"
- "Petropolis - Imperial City"
- "b1bob's excellent Petropolis adventures"
- "Imperial history..."
- "Petropolis: The Imperial City"
- "Mangueirense's Petropolis Page"
- "Petropolis - the Imperial City just 53 km from Rio"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petrópolis
- Hotels in Petrópolis
- Transportation in Petrópolis
- Restaurants in Petrópolis
- Shopping in Petrópolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Petrópolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Petrópolis
- 21 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Petrópolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petrópolis
Photos in PetrópolisSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues