"Rio de Janeiro - My favourite place on earth!" Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro by Willettsworld
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide: 3,660 reviews and 6,500 photos
So why is Rio de Janeiro my favourite place on earth? Well in my mind it has virtually everything to offer:
Beautiful world famous beaches such as Copacabana and Ipanema
Wonderful panoramic mountain top views from Christ the Redeemer statue on top of Corcovado and from Sugarloaf.
Great colonial architecture such as the NS de Candelaria church and the Mosteiro de Sao Bento as well as modern architecture in the form of the Metropolitan cathedral and Petrobras building.
Beautiful rainforests and gardens such as the Floresta da Tijuca, Quinta da Boa Vista and the Botanical Gardens.
Some nice museums for rainy days such as the National museum of natural history, Republic museum and the Indian museum.
Great sporting and outdoor activites including football, beach volleyball, rock climbing, cycling, diving and fishing.
A lively and everything goes attitude in the form of nightlife.
And finally the world famous spectacular Carnaval which needs no introduction.
I've visited Rio two times. The first visit was as part of a South America tour I did in October 2003 when I came to Rio for 5 days before heading to Montevideo, Buenos Aires, Santiago and Asunción before coming back to Rio in order to fly back home. I fell in love with Rio when I first saw Copacabana beach from the top of my hotel (the photo above). When I left I wanted to come back again but to experience Carnaval. So in February 2005 I returned for my second visit and spent a week here visiting places I hadn't seen on my first visit and some places I had. The lure of Rio to come back for a third time has been strong whilst writing this page and my tips. Rio is like a drug. Once taken, it's very hard to say no again!
STOP PRESS: Update 3/4/07 - I've just returned from my third trip to Rio. New tips have been added and older tips updated.
This Evangelical cathedral is located to the west of the Santo Antonio Church and Monastery. It looks pretty modern... more travel advice
With an area of around 150,000 square meters, the Campo de Santana is the largest green area in downtown Rio. It had its... more travel advice
- See All Grill Inn
- See All Next to BarraShopping
- See All Largest in South America
- See All Igreja de Santo Inacio
- See All Carnaval: Street bands/processions or...
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RIO DE JANEIRO HAS SECRETS"
- "Welcome to the City of God"
- "Rio de Janeiro - Minha casa / My Home"
- "Rio de Janeiro - My favourite place on earth!"
- "RIO DE JANEIRO - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD!"
- "Imagining Rio"
- "Rio de Janeiro - a work in progress for a while..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rio de Janeiro
- Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Transportation in Rio de Janeiro
- Nightlife in Rio de Janeiro
- Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
- Shopping in Rio de Janeiro
- Warnings and Dangers in Rio de Janeiro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rio de Janeiro
- 103 Reviews
- 326 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rio de Janeiro
Photos in Rio de JaneiroSee All Photos (326)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues