"Rio de Janeiro - My favourite place on earth!" Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro by Willettsworld

Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide: 3,640 reviews and 6,560 photos

So why is Rio de Janeiro my favourite place on earth? Well in my mind it has virtually everything to offer:

Beautiful world famous beaches such as Copacabana and Ipanema
Wonderful panoramic mountain top views from Christ the Redeemer statue on top of Corcovado and from Sugarloaf.
Great colonial architecture such as the NS de Candelaria church and the Mosteiro de Sao Bento as well as modern architecture in the form of the Metropolitan cathedral and Petrobras building.
Beautiful rainforests and gardens such as the Floresta da Tijuca, Quinta da Boa Vista and the Botanical Gardens.
Some nice museums for rainy days such as the National museum of natural history, Republic museum and the Indian museum.
Great sporting and outdoor activites including football, beach volleyball, rock climbing, cycling, diving and fishing.
A lively and everything goes attitude in the form of nightlife.
And finally the world famous spectacular Carnaval which needs no introduction.

I've visited Rio two times. The first visit was as part of a South America tour I did in October 2003 when I came to Rio for 5 days before heading to Montevideo, Buenos Aires, Santiago and Asunción before coming back to Rio in order to fly back home. I fell in love with Rio when I first saw Copacabana beach from the top of my hotel (the photo above). When I left I wanted to come back again but to experience Carnaval. So in February 2005 I returned for my second visit and spent a week here visiting places I hadn't seen on my first visit and some places I had. The lure of Rio to come back for a third time has been strong whilst writing this page and my tips. Rio is like a drug. Once taken, it's very hard to say no again!

STOP PRESS: Update 3/4/07 - I've just returned from my third trip to Rio. New tips have been added and older tips updated.

• Last visit to Rio de Janeiro: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 3, 2007

• ellsasha's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Wow, this page really brought back memories. I've stayed many times at the Rio Othon Hotel, enjoyed the wonderful beaches, and loved many of the beautiful old churches in the city.

• Mar 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM

When I went to South America four years ago this was my favorite place to shop. Several shops carried religious antiques of great quality at fair prices. Bring cash; they seldom take credit cards.

• Fernandocramos's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Looking for India tips, I could ceck you visit my city , Rio, and you did your lesson very well. Good job, one of the best Rio´s page, but you have to come back and visit some cities near Rio as Buzios and Paraty. Be welcome. I rate all your tips.

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Some real interesting pieces here, shame I have to go cook now as I could very easily get lost in these pages, thanks

• morne's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2007 at 1:42 AM

Carnival and those lovely girls on the beaches what more can a man desire?

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2005 at 10:30 PM

Nice commentary on a great town.

• XtravelloverX's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2005 at 6:28 AM

Wonderful tips on Rio, I hope we can squeeze a trip in there next November! Happy travels. :^)

• Pimilan's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2005 at 10:53 AM

Great fotos of Rio, my favorite city even it's 19 years i never go back !

Willettsworld

“"Don't listen to what they say. Go see." ~ Chinese proverb”

Badges & Stats in Rio de Janeiro

Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?

Latest Activity in Rio de Janeiro