"BSB - Don't expect the Middle East" Top 5 Page for this destination Bandar Seri Begawan by Willettsworld
Bandar Seri Begawan Travel Guide: 316 reviews and 1,048 photos
Bandar Seri Begawan, also known as BSB or just Bandar, is the capital of the Sultanate of Brunei. We all know who the Sultan of Brunei is - the richest monarch in the world thanks to all the oil resources it has. But don't expect to see everyone driving around in Mercedes and architecture plucked from the Middle East. It's the exact opposite in fact. It's like Malaysia but with nodding-donkey oil wells, pipes everywhere and very strict Islamic beliefs - alcohol isn't sold here except in only a few high-end hotels and there's no nightlife - and this is a capital city!
The history of Bandar Seri Begawan goes back to the 7th century, where there existed a settlement, not unlike those found in Kampong Ayer, near where the Brunei Museum is located today. It was originally called Bandar Brunei. The word "Bandar" means "harbour" in Persian, but is translated as "town" in Malay (although in Indonesian, it retains the meaning of "harbour"). Begawan is a word to honour Bruneian sultans who have abdicated, and comes from Sanskrit meaning "god".
Tourism is here but don't expect to find many western tourists. The only western people I saw work here. There's a few interesting places to visit in the city such as the Kampong Ayer (water village) which is home to hundreds of wooden stilt houses which can be explored by chartering a boat; the excellent Brunei Museum; the beautiful Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque which is best viewed at night (giving you at least something to do at night); the Royal Regalia Museum and a rather nice small Chinese Temple. I stayed at a youth hostel in the city centre that doubled as a sports centre complete with outdoor swimming pool. I came here on a rather convoluted journey from Miri that involved five buses and a river crossing. Brunei and BSB is a little strange but I was happy to visit and mark it off as a country I've visited.
The main bus station in the city is located in Jalan Cator underneath a multi-story car park. We took a bus from here to... more travel advice
Altogether we spent three nights in BSB and, well, we were a little bored as to what to do in the evenings. We ate at... more travel advice
- See All Simple place with lots of options
- See All Brunei Darussalam Archaeology & History...
- See All Tamoi Mosque
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Bandar Seri Begawan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bandar Seri Begawan - Capital of Brunei Sultanate"
- "Brunei's capital"
- "BSB - Don't expect the Middle East"
- "Bandar Seri Begawan - Capital of an Oil Sultanate"
- "Bandar Seri Begawan"
- "Poor Country Inhabited by Rich People"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Hotels in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Transportation in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Nightlife in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Restaurants in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Shopping in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Warnings and Dangers in Bandar Seri Begawan
- See All...
Explore the World
- Glacier National Park Hotels
- Huntington Beach
- Mo i Rana
- South Padre Island
- Province of Ontario
- Lago Albano
- Kankakee River State Park Hotels
- State of Orissa Hotels
- Laguna Cajititlán Hotels
- Tampoi Hotels
- Atlantic City
- Wadduwa Hotels
Badges & Stats in Bandar Seri Begawan
- 27 Reviews
- 149 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Bandar Seri Begawan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bandar Seri Begawan
Photos in Bandar Seri BegawanSee All Photos (149)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Bandar Seri Begawan hotel reviews
- Empire Hotel And Country Club
- 441 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Pusat Belia Youth Hostel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 10, 2013
- Brunei Hotel
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Mangrove Paradise Resort
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Abdul Razak Apartments
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2012
- Traders Inn Bandar Seri Begawan
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Terrace Hotel
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Rizqun International Hotel
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Jubilee Hotel
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Radisson Hotel Brunei Darussalam
- 248 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Riverview Hotel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2013