"Home of the Cao Dai Holy See" Top 5 Page for this destination Tay Ninh by Willettsworld
Tay Ninh Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 156 photos
The capital of the same-named province, Tay Ninh is situated 95km northwest of Ho Chi Minh City and is the original home of the Cao Dai religion which has around 3 million adherents in Southern Vietnam. Tay Ninh is home to the Cao Dai Great Temple, built between 1933 and 1955, which sits a few kilometres outside of the town.
A rather garish meld of styles and influences, the temple is dominated by the divine eye which is the religion's representation of God - for those who are curious, it's a left eye. The temple is done out in hues of pink and baby blues, with a brilliant interior bedecked with eight grandiose pillars wrapped with writhing dragons, and a clouded pastel blue sky that wouldn't be out of place in a Vegas casino - you really have to see the place to believe it! The faith has built temples all over the region, especially in the Mekong Delta, but this is the biggest, brightest and the best. I went on a tour with the Sinh Cafe whose offices are in the Pham Ngu Lao backpackers area of Ho Chi Minh City and it cost me 136,000 VND (about $8) which also included a trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels in the afternoon. The tour visits the temple in order to witness the mid-day mass.
Although various sects of Caodaiism claim to have received messages from numerous spiritual entities, the Tay Ninh Holy... more travel advice
Caodaiism's organisational structure closely resembles that of many governments of democracies. Caodaiism's governing... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Tay Ninh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the Cao Dai Holy See"
- "TAY NINH - KINGDOM OF HEAVEN"
- "Tay Ninh"
- "TAY NINH VIETNAM"
- "Cao Dai"
- "Tay Ninh"
- "Cao Dai"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tay Ninh
- 9 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Tay Ninh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tay Ninh
Photos in Tay NinhSee All Photos (74)
Videos in Tay NinhSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues