"Chiang Rai & The far north of Thailand" Top 5 Page for this destination Chiang Rai by Willettsworld
Chiang Rai Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 746 photos
Chiang Rai is one of the best spots to do trekking in Thailand, what with its alluring mountains and numerous hill-tribes. Chiang Rai retains some of the small-town charm now relatively lacking in places like Chiang Mai and Bangkok.
The city was established in 1262 during the reign of expansionist Lanna ruler Mangrai. Inheriting the throne from his father in 1259, he embarked on a campaign to quickly conquer - either by war or diplomacy - the surrounding fiefs. Once he had established Chiang Rai, he moved his capital here and further expanded, with Chiang Khong, Fang and Phayao all falling under his sphere of influence. In the next twenty years his kingdom stretched to encompass the state of Haripunchai in Lamphun and in 1292, Mangrai established his final capital, Chiang Mai, which remains Thailand's northern capital to this day. However, don't expect to be tripping over dozens of temples or ruins. There's only a few temples worth exploring plus a fairly good hill tribe museum but then that's really your lot. However, there is a very good night market, which was the best I visited in Thailand, that also features an open-air food court.
I came to Chiang Rai from Chiang Mai over some nice hills on a bus and visited the city plus went on a Golden Triangle tour - the English name meaning the meeting of Laos, Myanmar and Thailand, where the Mekong meets the Ruak River. Historically the Golden Triangle has been an area well-known for the growing of opium, and the name comes from a US State Department memo on the practice. I then took another bus to Chiang Khong which lies on the Laos border in order to get a boat across the Mekong River to a small town called Huay Xai in Laos.
I came here as the first stop on a Golden Triangle Tour I did. The garden, which is located at Doi Tung in the hills to... more travel advice
This place was just up the road from where I was staying at the Janson House (see my accommodation tip). Like the sign... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Chiang Rai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mountains, hilltribes and trekking in Chiang Rai"
- "Chiang Rai"
- "in and around chiang rai"
- "City of Artists and Lanna Architects"
- "Chiang Rai & The far north of Thailand"
- "Chiang Rai"
- "Chiang Rai _ a small pearl"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chiang Rai
- Hotels in Chiang Rai
- Transportation in Chiang Rai
- Nightlife in Chiang Rai
- Restaurants in Chiang Rai
- Shopping in Chiang Rai
- Warnings and Dangers in Chiang Rai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chiang Rai
- 19 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Chiang Rai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chiang Rai
Photos in Chiang RaiSee All Photos (92)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues