"Kamphaeng Phet - Ruins that are overlooked" Kamphaeng Phet by Willettsworld
Kamphaeng Phet Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 184 photos
The provincial capital Kamphaeng Phet is split into the new city, which is a fairly typical central Thai city and the old city, encircled by the original walls, which is home to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Kamphaeng Phet Historical Park. Within this area is Wat Phra Kaeo which is one of the main ruins and features some wonderful Buddha images including one that's reclining. To the north of this area are a concentration of remains which are lie in the a forest and include the impressive Wat Phra Non, Wat Phra Si Ariyabot (with its standing Buddha), Wat Singh and Wat Chang Rop (with its impressive elephant statues). The best way of visiting them is by hiring a bicycle which I did from my guest house - the Three J Guest House.
Kamphaeng Phet wasn't originally on my itinerary but I decided to include it after reading more about it in my guide book whilst in Sukhothai. I decided to come and took a bus here and spent the rest of the day cycling around the ruins where I was virtually the only person visiting them. You could say that the town is a little bit off the beaten track as it is out the way from the main road that goes from Sukhothai to Chiang Mai but if you have a spare day and like to see some more ruins, then why not come here.
Eagle Pub on Chakungrao is one of the busiest spots in town with live music nightly starting at 21.30. Opposite the... more travel advice
This is one of the most picturesque and, therefore, famous temples as it's located in the middle of the Historic Park.... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Kamphaeng Phet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kamphaeng Phet"
- "Kamphaeng Phet - Ruins that are overlooked"
- "Temple of the Sleeping Buddha"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kamphaeng Phet
- Hotels in Kamphaeng Phet
- Transportation in Kamphaeng Phet
- Nightlife in Kamphaeng Phet
- Warnings and Dangers in Kamphaeng Phet
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kamphaeng Phet
- 18 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Kamphaeng Phet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kamphaeng Phet
Photos in Kamphaeng PhetSee All Photos (106)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues