"Lampang - City of Roosters & Carriages" Top 5 Page for this destination Lampang by Willettsworld
Lampang Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 319 photos
Lampang was once known as Kukutthanakorn, or City of the Roosters. The name was derived from a local legend that describes a visit by the Lord Buddha. Beforehand, the god Phra Indra was worried that the locals would not wake up in time to give him alms, so he created a white rooster to crow at dawn. You'll see statues and emblems of roosters all over the place plus some horse and carriages which are another symbol of the town - the only town in Thailand still using this method of transport. In fact, Lampang, also called "meuang rot ma" in Thai, means "Horse Carriage City".
The main reasons for coming here is to visit the excellent National Elephant Institute, located 33km north-west of the town on the main highway to Chiang Mai, and the wonderful Wat Phra That Lampang Luang which is one of the most spectacular wats in Thailand and was, indeed, one of my favourites. The temple is located about 20km southwest of the town. I came to Lampang from Kamphaeng Phet before heading up the main highway to Chiang Mai. The town itself is a little bland with just a few so-so temples to visit plus the Baan Sao Nak (house of many pillars) which is a massive teak house demonstrating Thai and Burmese influence in its design.
Lampang, also called "meuang rot ma" in Thai, meaning "Horse Carriage City", is considered by some Thais as the last... more travel advice
In order to visit the National Elephant Institute and Wat Phra That Lampang Luang, I noticed some guys hanging around... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Lampang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Apparently I have not been there!"
- "Wat Phra That Lampang Luang"
- "Lampang - City of Roosters & Carriages"
- "again in Lampang"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lampang
- Hotels in Lampang
- Transportation in Lampang
- Nightlife in Lampang
- Restaurants in Lampang
- Shopping in Lampang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lampang
- 20 Reviews
- 150 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Lampang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lampang
Photos in LampangSee All Photos (150)
Videos in LampangSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues