"Lopburi - Ruins, royal palace & monkeys" Lop Buri by Willettsworld
Lop Buri Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 308 photos
Lopburi is the capital of Lopburi Province and is located about 150km north-east of Bangkok. Lopburi has made its way into the Thai history books on numerous occasions. The Khmer empire got their hands on it during the tenth century and held power in the region till the mid-thirteenth century, when the Thais clinched it. Many of the ancient ruins in and around Lopburi possess distinctly Khmer and Hindu characteristics, although over time many have been transformed into Buddhist monuments. Lopburi made the news again in 1664 when King Narai made it the second capital after Ayutthaya, when he built his palace here, which partly stands in ruins today, but parts were restored in 1856 by King Mongkut (King Rama IV).
Lopburi is famous for the hundreds of crab-eating macaques that overrun the Old Town, especially in the area around Phra Prang Sam Yot and Phra Kaan Shrine. They will want your bag, sunglasses, cap and lunch before allowing you a roam around. If you have a simian phobia, strike Lopburi off your list! The main sights are all within walking distance of the train station, which is handily located in the Old Town. I came here by train from Ayutthaya, which only took 45 minutes or so and spent the rest of the day visiting the sights. You really only need to spend a day here, which is how long I spent here before getting the train, north to Phitsanulok.
I took the train from Lopburi to Phitsanulok and these are some photos of some of the lovely little stations we passed... more travel advice
This place is located opposite Wat Indra in the east of the Old Town, near the railway track. I came here for breakfast... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Lop Buri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of Monkeys and Soldiers"
- "LOP BURI"
- "Our introduction to the Central Plains -15/01/2005"
- "My Job in Thailand"
- "Lopburi - not only monkeys"
- "Around Lop Buri"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lop Buri
- Hotels in Lop Buri
- Transportation in Lop Buri
- Nightlife in Lop Buri
- Restaurants in Lop Buri
- Shopping in Lop Buri
- Warnings and Dangers in Lop Buri
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lop Buri
- 27 Reviews
- 161 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Lop Buri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lop Buri
Photos in Lop BuriSee All Photos (161)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Lop Buri hotel reviews
- Lopburi Inn Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013