"Phimai Historic Park" Phimai by Willettsworld
Phimai Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 253 photos
Once a part of the sprawling Khmer empire, Phimai, located 60km north-east of Khorat, was once directly connected by road to the capital of Angkor and was considered to be an integral part of the empire, seeing a steady stream of traders and religious travellers passing through its gates.
The main enclosed area of the Prasat Phimai, which measures 1020x580m, is comparable with that of Angkor Wat which means that Phimai must have been an important city in the Khmer empire. Most of the buildings were started in the late 10th century by the Khmer King Jayavarman V and were later finished by King Suriyavarman I. They are built in the Baphuon, Bayon and Angkor Wat style.
There are some other interesting sights in the small town such as the Victory Gate, which was the southern entrance into the town, and a very good museum. If you're staying in Khorat, then you shouldn't miss Phimai. It's easy to get to by taking a bus from the terminal 2 bus station, to the north of the city centre, which takes about an hour.
The city wall was built by mounding dirt into ramparts. Arched gateways made of laterite are found to the south, west... more travel advice
This brick chedi stands on high mound in the centre of the town. It probably got its name from a folk tale called "Nang... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Phimai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Phimai - the ancient city"
- "Wonderful Khmar Ruins"
- "Phimai District"
- "Phimai Historic Park"
- "Welcome to Phimai!"
- "Lost Temples - well we couldn't find them!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Phimai
- Hotels in Phimai
- Transportation in Phimai
- Restaurants in Phimai
- Shopping in Phimai
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Phimai
- 15 Reviews
- 118 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Phimai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Phimai
Photos in PhimaiSee All Photos (118)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues