"The Golden Triangle" Ban Sop Ruak by Willettsworld
Ban Sop Ruak Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 66 photos
The Golden Triangle is the English name meaning the meeting of Laos, Myanmar and Thailand, but to the locals it's Sop Ruak, since this is where the Mekong meets the Ruak River. The landscape is hilly, divided by the Ruak River that flows into the Mekong River. These rivers form a natural boundary between the three countries Laos (to the east of the Mekong), Myanmar (to the north of the Ruak), and Thailand (to the west of the Mekong). You can see the point where the rivers meet on a small hill on the Thai side and this is where you can get a picture of yourself standing in front.
Historically the Golden Triangle has been an area well-known for the growing of opium, and the name comes from a US State Department memo on the practice. Nowadays, the Golden Triangle is, undoubtedly, the largest tourist trap in northern Thailand with loads of stalls, shops and a huge golden Buddha, where as there's virtually nothing to see on the Laos or Myanmar side.
This huge golden Buddha stands overlooking the river where you get more good views. more travel advice
The Golden Triangle is the English name meaning the meeting of Laos, Myanmar and Thailand, but to the locals it's Sop... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Ban Sop Ruak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Thailand's side of the Golden Triangle"
- "The Golden Triangle"
- "Sop Ruak"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ban Sop Ruak
- 4 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Ban Sop Ruak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ban Sop Ruak
Photos in Ban Sop RuakSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues