"Harhorin - Modern town next to ancient capital" Harhorin by Willettsworld
Harhorin Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 111 photos
Harhorin, sometimes known as Kharkhorin, is a town in the centre of Ovorhangay Aimag and is famous for the nearby ruins of the ancient town of Karakorum, which for a short time served as the capital of the Mongol Empire under Ogedei Khan, son of Genghis Khan. Within the ruins lies the famous Erdene Zuu monastery which was the first Buddhist monastery in Mongolia, having been started in 1586 by Abtai Khan.
I came to Harhorin on the 5th day of my 12-day tour around Mongolian and stayed the night near the town at a tourist ger camp beside the Orkhon River. We watched a musical and contortionist show by the Karakorum Group who played and sung traditional Mongolian songs and music. The town itself is pretty bleak, as most towns I saw in Mongolia tend to be, serving more for practicality and function than being aesthetically pleasing on the eye. Virtually every house has a ger and the plot of land is bordered with wooden fence panels. There is an information centre with internet PC's and a bank.
We stayed at the Anar Ger Camp which is one of a few located beside the Orkhon River that flows past the town. If you... more travel advice
This is inside the large restaurant ger on the Anar Ger Camp where I stayed the night in Harhorin. Inside is a huge... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Harhorin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Harhorin - Modern town next to ancient capital"
- "The Nestorian church in old Karakorum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Harhorin
- Hotels in Harhorin
- Transportation in Harhorin
- Nightlife in Harhorin
- Restaurants in Harhorin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Harhorin
- 9 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Harhorin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harhorin
Photos in HarhorinSee All Photos (71)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues