"Kapit - Overnight stop between Sibu and Belaga" Kapit by Willettsworld
Kapit Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 112 photos
The town of Kapit is the capital of the Kapit District in the Kapit Division, Sarawak, on the south bank of the Rejang River. As of 2002, the district comprised a population of 60,200. I came here on my way up the Rejang River from Sibu to Belaga and visited the few sights there are here which include a fort, museum and Chinese temple.
Kapit was founded by Charles Brooke in 1880 as a garrison town. A fort was built here to prevent the Ibans from going upriver to attack the Orang Ulu settlements. Initially called Fort Kapit, the fort was renamed Fort Sylvia after the wife of Rajah Vyner Brooke. The Hoklo people, a subgroup of the Chinese Hokkien people, came to settle in Kapit shortly after the town was established and were joined by the Ka Chinese in 1906, and the Fuzhou Chinese in 1919. Kapit was totally destroyed by Allied bombings during the Second World War, and had to be rebuilt following the war.
We took another express boat up river from Kapit to Belaga which left at 9.50am and took 4.5 hours and cost RM30. Along... more travel advice
This hotel is very well located overlooking the river and was one that I had my eye on when we first arrived in Kapit... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Kapit Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kapit - Overnight stop between Sibu and Belaga"
- "Kapit, State of Sarawak, Malaysia"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kapit
- 12 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Kapit?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kapit
Photos in KapitSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues