"Sibu - Biggest town on the Rejang River" Top 5 Page for this destination Sibu by Willettsworld
Sibu Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 140 photos
Sibu is the biggest town on the Rejang River in Sarawak. The town is located at the confluence of the Rejang and the Igan Rivers, some 60 km from the South China Sea. It has a population of about 285,000. The Pan Borneo Highway links Sibu with the rest of Sarawak, Brunei and Sabah. It is a predominantly Chinese town, with Fuzhou being the majority dialect group. It also has a significant number of Melanau, Malay and Iban.
Sibu was established by Fuzhou immigrants from Fujian Province in SE China. Originally it was known as New Fuzhou. Rajah Brooke built a fort here in 1862, but the fort has since been demolished. There's very little to see in the town itself and I only came here as an overnight stop on my way from Kuching up the Rejang River to Kapit and Belaga.
Sacred Heart Cathedral was built in 1985. Initially it was a church before elevated to the rank of cathedral with... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Sibu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oh Sibu !"
- "Sibu - Biggest town on the Rejang River"
- "Sibu - The Malaysian Foochow Town"
- "Sibu, Sarawak - The Mighty Rejang River"
- "Sibu --- Cheap cheap food"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sibu
- Hotels in Sibu
- Transportation in Sibu
- Restaurants in Sibu
- Shopping in Sibu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sibu
- 10 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Sibu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sibu
Photos in SibuSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues