"Penang - The Pearl of the Orient" Penang by Willettsworld
Penang Travel Guide: 2,473 reviews and 5,308 photos
Penang (meaning betel nut in Malay) is an island off the northwestern coast of Peninsular Malaysia. It is also the name of the Malaysian state which is made up of Penang Island and the facing strip of territory on the mainland called Seberang Perai which includes the city of Butterworth. These two halves of Penang are connected by the 8-mile (13.4km) long Penang Bridge, the longest bridge in Malaysia and one of the longest in Asia.
Penang was part of the Malay sultanate of Kedah until 1786, when Captain Francis Light built a fort at the site of present-day George Town and managed to get the island ceded to the British East India Company, along with Malacca and Singapore. The island was one of the three British Straits Settlements. The original name of Penang was Pulau Ka-satu or "First Island", it was renamed to Prince of Wales Island on 12 August 1786 to commemorate the birthday of the Prince of Wales, later, King George IV. During the early and middle part of the last century, Penang Island was also known as "The Pearl of the Orient".
Tourism is big business on the island, although Penang's beaches are nice, they are a little lackluster when compared to those in some other Malaysian states. However, this is more than compensated for by the island's rich multicultural history which is full of Malay, Chinese, Indian, and European influences. This can be found in George Town with an area within a radius of about a mile from Fort Cornwallis forming the old quarters with many splendid colonial buildings alongside gleaming temples, mosques, churches, Chinese clan houses and shophouses and a labyrinthine of alleys that all make up a UNESCO World Heritage Site. As well as George Town, other major attractions on the island include the Kek Lok Si Temple, reputed to be the largest Buddhist temple in South-East Asia; Penang Hill with its funicular railway; Botanical Gardens established in 1884; Orchid, Retile and Butterfly Gardens; and Snake Temple.
I've been to Penang twice now. The first time I stayed for a few days in Batu Feringghi - the islands main beach resort but came back here in February 2009 as part of a big backpacking trip I did around SE Asia when I stayed in George Town. I came to George Town from over the Thai border and then carried on down Peninsula Malaysia to Taiping, Kuala Kangsar, Ipoh and KL.
Bel Retiro is a government bungalow on Penang Hill that was built in 1789 for the governor of Penang, and remains within... more travel advice
Penang Hill Mosque, or Masjid Bukit Bendera, is the only mosque on Penang Hill. Erected in 1966 for the use of Muslims... more travel advice
- See All Penang Hill Funicular
- Monkey's on Penang Hill
- See All Eat from a banana leaf
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Penang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Penang - Prince of Wales Island"
- "Penang - my birthplace"
- "colourful FUSION of culture"
- "Penang for Foodies"
- "Penang My Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Penang
- Hotels in Penang
- Transportation in Penang
- Nightlife in Penang
- Restaurants in Penang
- Shopping in Penang
- Warnings and Dangers in Penang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Penang
- 84 Reviews
- 295 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Penang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Penang
Photos in PenangSee All Photos (295)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues