"Kuala Kangsar - Royal town of Perak" Kuala Kangsar by Willettsworld
Kuala Kangsar Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 231 photos
Kuala Kangsar is the royal town of the Sultanate of Perak. It is located on the western bank of the Perak River where it makes a sharp bend. Kuala Kangsar is a beautifully preserved town that is worth exploring, especially for heritage enthusiasts. I came here by bus from nearby Taiping before heading on to the state capital of Ipoh.
The name Kuala Kangsar is believed to have come from "Kuala Karong-Sa", which means "99 tributaries", referring to the tributaries that empty into the Perak River. Along the bend of the river, Sultan Yusuf Sharifuddin Mudzaffar Shah (1877-1887) erected his palace, Istana Sri Sayong. This was a strange decision, as the palace was exposed to enemy invasion as well as the unpredictable river. Even though an invasion did not materialise, its vulnerability to the elements proved to be its undoing when, the Big Flood or Air Bah of 1926 almost swept it away. Only then was a decision made to move the palace to higher ground. The site chosen was a gentle knoll close-by, on which today stands the present residence of the Sultan of Perak, the Istana Iskandariah, a fine piece of Art-Deco architecture. The royal quarters, which include Istana Iskandariah, Istana Ulu, the Ubudiah Mosque and Istana Kenangan, all stand on one side of Kuala Kangsar, on the knoll away from the rest of town, which is a bit of a walk to get to. The town is also the site of the first rubber tree planted in Malaysia as well as the first establishment of a scout troop in Malaysia. Nice sideline place to visit if you're travelling between Taiping and Ipoh.
This great little place is located along the main road that leads into the town centre from the Clock Tower. It's run by... more travel advice
The Istana Iskandariah is located within a short drive from Istana Kota, Istana Kenangan and the Ubudiah Mosque. It is... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Kuala Kangsar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kuala Kangsar - Perak Royal Town"
- "Its where I was born...."
- "NEGERI SULTAN ISKANDARIAH"
- "Kuala Kangsar - Bandar Diraja"
- "Kuala Kangsar ~ The Royal Town"
- "Kuala Kangsar"
- "Serene Royal K Kangsar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuala Kangsar
- Hotels in Kuala Kangsar
- Transportation in Kuala Kangsar
- Nightlife in Kuala Kangsar
- Restaurants in Kuala Kangsar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuala Kangsar
- 17 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Kuala Kangsar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuala Kangsar
Photos in Kuala KangsarSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues