"Formerly Jesselton, now simply KK" Kota Kinabalu by Willettsworld
Kota Kinabalu Travel Guide: 1,062 reviews and 2,794 photos
Kota Kinabalu, or simply known as KK, is the capital of the state of Sabah in East Malaysia with a population of around 600,000. In the late 1800s, the British North Borneo Company (BNBC) began to establish colonies throughout North Borneo (now Sabah). In 1882, the Company founded a small settlement in the area known as Gaya Bay which was already inhabited by the Bajau people. The first settlement was on Gaya Island (Pulau Gaya). In 1897, this first settlement was burned and destroyed by the indigenous Bajau freedom fighter led by Mat Salleh. After the rebellion, the Company decided to relocate the settlement to the more easily defended mainland opposite Pulau Gaya. This new location was then designated as the main harbour and port, as well as the terminus for the North Borneo Railway. It was expanded and renamed Jesselton, after Sir Charles Jessel, the then Vice Chairman of the Company. Eventually, Jesselton became a major trading post of North Borneo, dealing in rubber, rattan, honey, and wax. The new railway was used to transport goods to Jesselton harbour. Jesselton was razed by the retreating British early in World War II to prevent it from falling into the hands of the Japanese. It was renamed to Kota Kinabalu in 1968 and became a city in 2000.
Kota Kinabalu is the gateway into Sabah as well as to the island of Borneo with the second largest international airport in the country. Being the industrial and commercial centre of East Malaysiam Kota Kinabalu is one of the fastest growing cities in Malaysia. The city is located about 90 km from Mount Kinabalu, the tallest mountain in Borneo. Apart from this, there's not a great deal to see in the city itself except for a good museum complex. I left Kota Kinabalu by bus to Sandakan in order to see the Orang-Utans at Sepilok.
We left Kota Kinabalu by bus to Sandakan in order to see the Orang-Utans at Sepilok. We took a local bus (RM1.50) to the... more travel advice
Located a bit further south, down the road from the Sacred Heart Cathedral, this large mosque is one of the two main... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Kota Kinabalu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kota Kinabalu"
- "Malaysian Borneo"
- "KK (as it is commonly known)"
- "SABAH & KOTA KINABALU"
- "Of Mountains,Islands & Headhunters. Don't miss it!"
- "KK Has It All!"
- "Kota Kinabalu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kota Kinabalu
- Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
- Transportation in Kota Kinabalu
- Nightlife in Kota Kinabalu
- Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
- Shopping in Kota Kinabalu
- Warnings and Dangers in Kota Kinabalu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kota Kinabalu
- 16 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Kota Kinabalu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kota Kinabalu
Photos in Kota KinabaluSee All Photos (92)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues