"On the Mekong for slowboat to Luang Prabang" Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Houayxai by Willettsworld
Ban Houayxai Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 120 photos
The small, sleepy town of Huay Xai lies on the bank of the Mekong River which marks the border with Thailand. It lies opposite the Thai town of Chiang Khong and can be accessed by taking a long narrow boat from the Thai side. There's not much to see here except for the towns temple which sits on top of a small hill which you climb up to via a series of Naga (snake) flanked steps. The main reason for coming here is to take the slowboat to Lao's main cultural centre of Luang Prabang. The trip takes 2 days with an overnight stay at the small village of Pak Beng and passes by some picturesque stilt villages and gives you a chance to mingle with the locals as they also travel on the boat.
I came to Huay Xai from the Thai town of Chiang Rai via a bus to Chiang Khong. I then went through Thai immigration with a breeze and passed under the "Gate to Indo-China" before crossing the river and having to wait a while at the Laos immigration office as the staff were having lunch! I killed the rest of the day by wandering around the town and booking my slowboat ticket, which I did from the office above where the boats dock. Facilities are a little basic but there's a few OK restaurants plus a bank with an ATM, although Thai Baht is accepted, and a post office.
The slowboat to Luang Prabang passes by many bamboo stilt villages which you can see perched on the slopes that lead up... more travel advice
The ruins of a small French fort known as Fort Carnot can be found if you continue along the main road following the... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Ban Houayxai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Huoayxai, Laos"
- "On the Mekong for slowboat to Luang Prabang"
- "Houay Xai, small village on the Mekong"
- "Houayxai is simple town but has unique Thing to do"
- "Quiet little border town"
- "Houay Xai (Border to Chiang Khong, Thailand)"
- "Huay Xai - the northern Gate to Laos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ban Houayxai
- Hotels in Ban Houayxai
- Transportation in Ban Houayxai
- Restaurants in Ban Houayxai
- Warnings and Dangers in Ban Houayxai
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ban Houayxai
- 14 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Ban Houayxai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ban Houayxai
Photos in Ban HouayxaiSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues