"Overnight stop on the slowboat to Luang Prabang" Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Pak Beng by Willettsworld
Ban Pak Beng Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 119 photos
Pak Beng is a small village that's located on the bank of the Mekong River and is used as an overnight stop along the scenic 2-day slowboat trip from Huay Xai on the Thai border to Lao's main cultural centre of Luang Prabang. The village has a very rural feel with local tribal women shopping in the small market with baskets on their backs and children and chickens running around. When the boat docks you'll probably be met by guys trying to entice you into their guesthouse, of which there are several. There's also a few good little restaurants here but don't expect to find a bank, yet alone an ATM. Electricity runs from a hydroelectric dam in the Beng river, which joins up with the Mekong here, so electricity may be scarce. Most guest houses have generators running in the evening, but these are usually switched off at 10pm.
This small temple, I later found out, is one of two in the village. It was closed when I was walking around the village... more travel advice
I ate here for dinner when I arrived in Pak Beng and had a good sweet and sour pork, rice, spring rolls and beer before... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Ban Pak Beng Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pak Beng: Rats, Opium and simplicity"
- "Mekong in Pak Beng"
- "informally yours, packbeng"
- "Overnight Stop on the Slowboat"
- "Overnight stop on the slowboat to Luang Prabang"
- "Pak Beng on Mekong"
- "Just a staging post............."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ban Pak Beng
- Hotels in Ban Pak Beng
- Transportation in Ban Pak Beng
- Restaurants in Ban Pak Beng
- Shopping in Ban Pak Beng
- Warnings and Dangers in Ban Pak Beng
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ban Pak Beng
- 11 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Ban Pak Beng?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ban Pak Beng
Photos in Ban Pak BengSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues