"Big on history but near big trouble" Top 5 Page for this destination Kaesong by Willettsworld
Kaesong Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 210 photos
Kaesong lies right in the south of the country, just a few miles from Panmunjom and the demilitarised zone. We came here down the empty 4-lane Reunification Highway from Pyongyang and stayed overnight in the old part of the city that survived the bombings of the Korean War because of its importance and historical value to the country. It was here that the Koryo Dynasty made Kaesong there capital and relics from this era still survive. When Korea was partitioned at the 38th parallel after World War Two, Kaesong was on the southern side of the line (within the Republic of Korea). Thus Kaesong is (depending on perspective) either the only occupied South Korean City at the end of the 'Korean Police Action', or the only city liberated by the North Korean People's Army in the 'Great Fatherland Liberation War'.
The main photo is probably one of the most famous street scenes in North Korea and one that I remember seeing on the net a few years ago that got me wanting to visit the country (who needs tour agency's!). This 4-lane street, known as Tongil Street, runs from the Kim Il Sung statue down the hill and then up again until it meets the Reunification Highway.
This is probably one of the most famous street scenes in North Korea and one that I remember seeing on the net a few... more travel advice
These are the views over Kaesong from the top of Mt. Chanam where you can observe the traditional Korean architecture... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Kaesong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Far Side of the Kimchee Curtain... Kaesong"
- "Rush hour in Kaesong"
- "Big on history but near big trouble"
- "The Old Capital"
- "Kaesong, my first step to North Korea"
- "North of the 38th Parallel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kaesong
- Hotels in Kaesong
- Transportation in Kaesong
- Nightlife in Kaesong
- Restaurants in Kaesong
- Shopping in Kaesong
- Warnings and Dangers in Kaesong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kaesong
- 19 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Kaesong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaesong
Photos in KaesongSee All Photos (78)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues