P'yongyang Shopping Tips by Willettsworld Top 5 Page for this destination
P'yongyang Shopping: 7 reviews and 14 photos
You'll get the chance to do some shopping whilst in Pyongyang and we stopped by this small department store which had selections of food items on the ground floor that included some western chocolate products. The next floor up had some electrical and furniture items that your average North Korean could never afford in a million years such as Panasonic LCD widescreen TV's for US$2450 or 343,000 Won! Other items included air conditioning units, washing machines, wardrobe cabinets, beds, hi-fi's and laptop computers. I think they're purely here for show or just for the 'kim' regimes elite personel to buy.
This shop is right beside the Koryo Hotel which is where you could be staying as it's one of the few hotels where foreigners can stay. The stamp shop displays every single stamp that has ever been issued in North Korea and many of them are available for purchase. Other items to buy here include postcards, A3 reproductions of propaganda posters you see on the streets, T-shirts and other souvenirs.
This small bookshop lies very near to Kim Il Sung Square - just a stone's throw away, in fact. As the title for this tip suggests, this bookshop is full of books in English, Spanish, French and German so it should suit most visitors. The bookshop also sells pin badges (but not the ones that every adult North Korean wears of Kim Il Sung) and flags. I bought a small DPRK one that you can see in the photo to take to a football match that we were going to see later in the tour (DPRK Vs Turkmenistan is a 2010 World Cup qualifier).
More Reviews (86)
- See All Eating al-fresco
- See All Mangyongdae
- See All Pyongyang to Beijing train
- See All Mini-golf at the Yanggakdo Hotel
Willettsworld's Related Pages
P'yongyang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pyongyang - Kim Il Sung's blank canvas"
- "The capital of North Korea"
- "Last bastion of communism"
- "Capital of the Forbidden Land"
- "The Eternal President"
- "Kim Il-Sung's Artwork: P'yongyang"
- "Beijing to Pyongyang"
- See All...
- Things to Do in P'yongyang
- Hotels in P'yongyang
- Transportation in P'yongyang
- Nightlife in P'yongyang
- Restaurants in P'yongyang
- Shopping in P'yongyang
- Warnings and Dangers in P'yongyang
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bingen am Rhein
- Republic of Montenegro Hotels
- Kitzbühel Hotels
- Zagulba Baglari Hotels
- Otocic Osljak Hotels
Badges & Stats in P'yongyang
- 89 Reviews
- 373 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to P'yongyang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in P'yongyang
Photos in P'yongyangSee All Photos (373)
Videos in P'yongyangSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest P'yongyang hotel reviews
- Yanggakdo Hotel
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013