"Pyongyang - Kim Il Sung's blank canvas" Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang by Willettsworld
P'yongyang Travel Guide: 193 reviews and 607 photos
Pyongyang is the capital city of North Korea and will be your arrival and departure point if you're ever thinking of planning a trip here. It is believed that between 2-2.5 million people live here but they're not just any old people. They have been specifically chosen by the government to live and work here and so it's a great privilege for them to be a resident here. They go about their business, mostly by foot, in an almost Trueman Show kind of way - just being there and not really doing anything. As they mostly walk from A to B, vehicles are few and far between and so the streets are virtually devoid of any traffic which lends an eeriness to the city. Countless propaganda photos and murals of the so called "Great" leader, Kim Il Sung, are spread throughout the city to act as a show of strength and power to the people, defiance over hardship and that everyone should pull together for the better good of the country.
Pyongyang didn't disappoint me or let me down in any way, shape or form. It was just how I imagined it to be: 100% Communist in every way - the buildings, streets, people and customs. Think of how Moscow would have been back in the 1980's but with virtually everything dating from when it was destroyed during the Korean War in the 1950's. It was the perfect place to start a regime and that regime's capital city from a blank canvas and to infiltrate the 'new' ways on its population and architecture. I actually liked the city - no noise, traffic, litter, advertising or clutter and some of the buildings are actually quite nice. But then, the side that we didn't see must be a very harsh way for the people to live by.
I spent four nights here on my weeklong tour of North Korea and the itinerary crammed in as much as possible as there is an awful lot to see here. We were shepherded around in a brightly coloured bus, from which we could take pictures from open windows that I didn't expect to be allowed to do. This means that I ended up taking over 600 photo's of the city, of which more than half have found their way onto this page. So enjoy them as they speak for themselves more than me writing about what they depict.
After we had visited Kim Il Sung's birth place at Mangyongdae, we had an outside barbeque picnic lunch at a place called... more travel advice
We left Pyongyang on a train bound for Beijing at shortly after 10am in the morning. The last two carriages on this... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
P'yongyang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pyongyang - Kim Il Sung's blank canvas"
- "The capital of North Korea"
- "Last bastion of communism"
- "Capital of the Forbidden Land"
- "The Eternal President"
- "Capital of the Hermit Kingdom"
- "Kim Il-Sung's Artwork: P'yongyang"
- See All...
- Things to Do in P'yongyang
- Hotels in P'yongyang
- Transportation in P'yongyang
- Nightlife in P'yongyang
- Restaurants in P'yongyang
- Shopping in P'yongyang
- Warnings and Dangers in P'yongyang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in P'yongyang
- 89 Reviews
- 373 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to P'yongyang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in P'yongyang
Photos in P'yongyangSee All Photos (373)
Videos in P'yongyangSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest P'yongyang hotel reviews
- Yanggakdo Hotel
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013