"Sihanoukville - Cambodia's premier beach resort" Top 5 Page for this destination Kampong Saom by Willettsworld
Kampong Saom Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 210 photos
Sihanoukville is Cambodia's premier beach location but don't expect to find a high-rise concrete jungle here, everything's rather laid back and mellow, a great way to get out of the bustling city of Phnom Penh (located 185km, 115 miles north-east).
Cambodia's youngest city, Sihanoukville sprang to life in 1955 when a construction team arrived at what was then known as Kompong Som to begin work on Cambodia's first (and only) deep water port. When the port was finished in 1960 the area was renamed Sihanoukville (in honour of then King Sihanouk) but many Cambodians (and VT!) continue to refer to it as Kompong Som. Also known as Snookyville or even Snooky, the town has three main areas: downtown which lies inland and is home to the towns markets, banks, ATM's and bus station; Victory Hill, which lies to the west of downtown, features its own, small beach and was the original backpacker centre; and Ochheuteal Beach which is home to the towns best beach along with plenty of accommodation, bars and restaurants.
I came here from Phnom Penh over the New Year 2008/09 period and celebrated seeing in the New Year by partying on the beach along with thousands of other tourists. The town is very laid back but has a complete lack of tourist sites except for the beaches, so why not make the most of them, have a beach BBQ and sit back, relax and chillout after visiting all the temples at Angkor!
I visited Sihanoukville for a few days over the New Year 2009 period. Expect many of the hotels and guesthouses to be... more travel advice
This modern church is located to the north of Downtown and was built in 1962 and served local Catholics until 1975.... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Kampong Saom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sihanoukville - Cambodia's premier beach resort"
- "Preah Sihanouk Ville"
- "Sihanoukville. Changing very rapidly!"
- "Kampong Saom, Khett Kampot"
- "Tourist attraction - still primitive"
- "The beaches of Sihanoukville"
- "Jon @ 37 in Sihanoukville, Cambodia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kampong Saom
- Hotels in Kampong Saom
- Transportation in Kampong Saom
- Nightlife in Kampong Saom
- Restaurants in Kampong Saom
- Shopping in Kampong Saom
- Warnings and Dangers in Kampong Saom
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kampong Saom
- 19 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Kampong Saom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kampong Saom
Photos in Kampong SaomSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues