"Pilgrimage city of the Dargah of Moinuddin Chishti" Top 5 Page for this destination Ajmer by Willettsworld
Ajmer Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 124 photos
Ajmer is located 135km (84 miles) south-west of Jaipur with the Aravali Range of hills to the west and north. The city is famous for being the location of the Dargah - a Muslim Sufi shrine built over the grave of a revered religious figure. The Dargah in Ajmer is a tomb to the most revered Muslim Sufi saint, Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti (1142-1236). He was one of the most outstanding figures in the annuals of Islamic mysticism and founder of the Chistiyya order in India. Moinuddin Chishti came to India, reputedly after a dream in which Muhammad told him to do so, and, after a brief stay at Lahore, reached Ajmer where he settled down. There he attracted a substantial following, acquiring a great deal of respect amongst the residents of the city. Today, hundreds of thousands of people, Muslims, Hindus, Christians and others, from the Indian sub-continent, and from other parts of the world assemble to his tomb on the occasion of his Urs (birth anniversary). Other places of interest include the Ana Sagar (large lake to the north of the city), a fort and palace built by Emperor Akbar in 1570 and the Nasiyan Jain Temple which features a double storeyed hall where there are splendid and unusual wooden gilt models depicting scenes from Jain mythology. I came here by train from Jaipur and took an auto-rickshaw tour around the sights for a couple of hours before catching a bus over the hills to nearby Pushkar.
There are buses that depart pretty regulary to Pushkar from near the Nasiyan (red) Temple on Prithvi Raj Road. The trip... more travel advice
The Rajputana Museum is housed in the former palace and fort of Emperor Akbar that was built in 1570. This impressive... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Ajmer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ajmer: the city of the holiest Muslim shrine"
- "love towards all malice towards none - Garib Nawaz"
- "Pilgrimage city of the Dargah of Moinuddin Chishti"
- "Ajmer - the holy Muslim Pilgrimage Town"
- "Restaurants Ajmer"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ajmer
- Hotels in Ajmer
- Transportation in Ajmer
- Shopping in Ajmer
- Warnings and Dangers in Ajmer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ajmer
- 29 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Ajmer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ajmer
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues