"Allahabad - Home of the sacred Sangam" Allahabad by Willettsworld
Allahabad Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 274 photos
Allahabad is a major city that's located about 240km (150 miles) southeast of the state capital, Lucknow and 130km (80 miles) northwest of Varanasi. Allahabad isn't a major tourist destination as tourists simply pass through the city on their way to Varanasi. That doesn't mean there's nothing to see here, there is, but not quite as much as in other city's. I liked Allahabad as it has an air of sophistication, which I hadn't felt in other places, that is mainly due to its renowned university which has educated many famous Indians such as former Indian presidents, prime ministers and deputy prime ministers. The sights are spread out so you will need to take cycle or auto rickshaws in order to visit them.
Despite the relatively modern feel to the city, Allahabad has a deep history that's mainly due to its location at the confluence of three of India's most sacred rivers - the Ganges, the Yamuna and the mythical underground river of enlightenment, the Saraswati. The land area where these river's meet is called the 'Sangam'. Bathing at the Sangam is believed to be auspicious throughout the year especially for 15 days in the month of Magh (mid-January to Mid-February) during 'Magh Mela' and longer during 'Maha Kumbh Mela' which is held every 12 years. Astrologers calculate the holiest time to enter the water and draw up a 'Holy Dip Schedule'. Maha Kumbh Mela attracts millions of devout Hindus and a holy dip then is believed to cleanse the soul. An enormous temporary township springs up on the vacant land on the Allahabad side of the river. Allahabad's other claim-to-fame is that it was the ancestral home of the Nehru's. Motilal Nehru, (India's first prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru's father), bought the Swaraj Bhavan in 1900 and is where another one of India's prime minister's, Indira Gandhi, was born. The house next door to this, the Anand Bhavan, was owned by Jawaharlal Nehru and it was here that he and Gandhi planned to overthrow the British Raj.
I took a boat out to the confluence point where the Yamuna meets the mighty Ganges. As you can see in the picture,... more travel advice
This is the guy who took me out on the Yamuna River. I went out to see the fort and witness bathers bathing at the... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Allahabad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kumbh Mela 2013"
- "Allahabad - Home of the sacred Sangam"
- "Prayag --- Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswathi meet here!"
- "Where Rivers meet"
- "Pictures of Allahabad"
- "The land of confluence of three rivers"
- "Sangam, Allahabad"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Allahabad
- Hotels in Allahabad
- Transportation in Allahabad
- Restaurants in Allahabad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Allahabad
- 21 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Allahabad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Allahabad
Photos in AllahabadSee All Photos (88)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues