"Bodh Gaya - Where Buddha found enlightenment" Bodh Gaya by Willettsworld
Bodh Gaya Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 164 photos
Bodh Gaya is located in the state of Bihar near the large town of Gaya which is 450km west of Calcutta and 90km south of Patna. Gaya is connected to the Delhi-Calcutta train line so it's possible to visit here from either city or from Varanasi. Bodh Gaya is 13km away from Gaya so you will have to take an auto rickshaw from the station.
Bodh Gaya is famous for being the site where Prince Siddhartha Gautama attained enlightenment whilst meditating on the causes of human suffering whilst sitting under a Bodhi tree 2,500 years ago. After he found the answers he was seeking, he became enlightened and then became the Buddha - the Enlightened One. The Bodhi tree, today, is actually an offspring of the original tree. Beside the tree lies the UNESCO World Heritage listed Mahabodhi Temple that dates from the 6th century on the site of an earlier temple built by Emperor Ashoka in the 3rd century BC. The whole site is a major pilgrimage centre for Buddhists, westerners and, surprisingly, Hindu's as Buddha is said to be the ninth incarnation of Vishnu. Around the area of the temple are a number of modern Buddhist temples and monasteries that have been built by the people of Bhutan, China, Japan, Myanmar, Nepal, Sikkim, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tibet and Vietnam. These buildings reflect the architectural style, exterior and interior decoration of their respective countries and are well worth a visit as is the large Buddha statue which was opened by the Dalal Lama, (who visits Bodh Gaya in December and January), in 1989.
Most of the temples and monasteries close for lunch between 12pm and 2pm. This means that you can take a nice long... more travel advice
The Torana is the small narrow gateway you pass under in order to reach the temple. It is made of granite and covered... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Bodh Gaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bodh Gaya - Where Buddha found enlightenment"
- "Dalai Lama's Winter Retreat"
- "Bodh Gaya is a must for every Budhist"
- "Bodh Gaya"
- "Maha Bodhi Stupa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bodh Gaya
- Hotels in Bodh Gaya
- Transportation in Bodh Gaya
- Restaurants in Bodh Gaya
- Shopping in Bodh Gaya
- Warnings and Dangers in Bodh Gaya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bodh Gaya
- 34 Reviews
- 130 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Bodh Gaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bodh Gaya
Photos in Bodh GayaSee All Photos (130)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues